Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Sword from India

Article about: Many years ago I wasn't married and therefore had more money to spend, so I would frequently visit a local pawn shop that had a lot of interesting guns. Once, when I bought a gun there, the

Default Sword from India

Many years ago I wasn't married and therefore had more money to spend, so I would frequently visit a local pawn shop that had a lot of interesting guns. Once, when I bought a gun there, the shop owner gave me a free gift to go along with it. It was this sword. The guy who pawned the sword said that he had got it from India. I had always thought it was a tourist souvenir sword. I have recently been looking at India swords on the internet, and I cannot tell the difference between tourist reproductions and genuine swords, so I am posting this to get an opinion from somebody who knows about swords.

The blade is about 28 and 5/8 inches long. It is about 1 and 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick at the hilt. The hilt is brass, and appears to have been gilded. Some traces of the gilding remain in places. A picture of a dog casing a rabbit is on both sides of the hilt. The sheath is leather.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.Sword from IndiaSword from IndiaSword from India

Not your usual tourist junk. That's an interesting sword with some age. Blade would appear to be locally made rather than adapted from another sword.

Thanks Anderson! For all of these years I thought it was probably a common tourist sword, because I got it free. I am glad to learn that it is not a usual tourist piece.