Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trench Club ??

Article about: Does anyone know if this is a trench club ........................ or just a poachers's fish/game priest ?? I haven't seen anything like it. Picked it this week. Wooden handle with lead head

Default Trench Club ??

Does anyone know if this is a trench club ........................ or just a poachers's fish/game priest ??

I haven't seen anything like it. Picked it this week.

Wooden handle with lead head and iron nail spikes.

No markings. No hole (for a strap) in the handle.

21" long.

Well worn with signs of real age.

Heavy ................ it could do some serious damage !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trench Club ??   Trench Club ??  

Trench Club ??  

MAP
    ?

I do not know the period or the country. But I like it Wouldn't mind having this inside my front door when people come asking for money! Yes. That thing can do some serious damage.

There was a thread here of someone posting a bunch of these type of items. I couldn't find it but will continue looking. If I remember correctly the poster didn't stick around.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The homemade nature of these items is very much the crux of the issue. Due to them not being mass-produced - instead knocked together by soldiers in the field with whatever was to hand - it can be very hard, if not impossible, to accurately attribute these clubs to a particular period. It does indeed appear to have the right amount of age, but without concrete provenance this could just as easily be an item made by a homeowner back in the day to deal with 'unwelcome visitors'.

While there's no way to say for sure if this club ever saw a trench, it would surely give someone a sore head if you whacked them with it.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    .....this could just as easily be an item made by a homeowner back in the day to deal with 'unwelcome visitors'....
    i.e. -> Me!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hehehe...
    I think that I would very much like to use that on the voles and moles in our yard when they start coming out and tunneling again in the spring....
    *SMASH, SMASH, SMASH*

It could well be a WW1 club. I think Lance will know for sure.

I was thinking it looks like a African tribal club, here is a trench club i have
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trench Club ??   Trench Club ??  

Trench Club ??  

Its difficult to say really... trench clubs came in all shapes and sizes - even sharpened shovels were used. I doubt very much if it is a poachers 'priest' though... it would make too much of a mess of the game you were finishing off!

Thanks all for your replies. It was in an auction with some WW1 British holsters and belts, but there was nothing to link it to them.

If it is a trench club, it's certainly not a standard one made by the unit workshops.

It's a bit smaller.

The handle looks like it could have been cut down from a walking stick !

Anyway, it would have made short work of a leather pickelhaube in 1915.

Another for the 'curiosity' box.

Now .............post #7....... that IS a trench club !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast