Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown bayonet or trench knife or ?, help needed

Article about: Hello, it looks like a shortened Lee Metford 1888 pattern bayonet. foreside: WILKINSON 16/15 X backside: 1903 bayonet length: 29,5 cm blade: 17cm scabbard 20cm total length: 32cm what is it,

Default Unknown bayonet or trench knife, probably used by Greek Sacred Squadron

Hello, it looks like a shortened Lee Metford 1888 pattern bayonet.
    foreside: WILKINSON 16/15 X
    backside: 1903
    bayonet length: 29,5 cm
    blade: 17cm
    scabbard 20cm
    total length: 32cm
    what is it, and what is the 16/15 X sign ?
    thanks for answers
    aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown bayonet or trench knife or ?, help needed   Unknown bayonet or trench knife or ?, help needed  

Unknown bayonet or trench knife or ?, help needed   Unknown bayonet or trench knife or ?, help needed  

Last edited by aghsmac1; 09-06-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Default Re: Unknown bayonet or trench knife or ?, help needed

It's a cut down 1903 bayonet, made by wilkinson, the x means that this blade passed the bend test, the 16/15 I'm not sure, could be when it was checked at the arsenal, or unit markings. Ok, I just looked at my 1903 bayonet, it was made at Enfield, but has the same 16 over 15 next to the X, so I'm guessing inspectors marks. Hope I helped.

Paul

?

Hello
    X is bending proof mark
    cordially
    Didier

Thanks for your help.
    Something more, the marks stamped before or after cutting, and finally whats the reason to cut down a bayonet?
    aghs

The markings were stamped before it was cut, to indicate all the tests and inspections for a bayonet. Some were cut as a theatre made knife, a soldier wanted something that was easier to us than a full length bayonet, and there were some that were cut by arsenals to be issued as a knife, like these.

Unknown bayonet or trench knife or ?, help needed

The top is a cut down P13 bayonet, used by French forces after ww2, and the bottom is a Canadian Ross made into a fighting knife, with the scabbard cut down to fit.

?

This shortened 1903 bayonet was carried by SAS and Ieros Lohos (Greek Sacred Squadron) troops during Aegean operations in 1944. Photos proving this are in Ron Flook's book British Commonwealth Military Knives. A photo on page 68 of Time Life Word War II volume "The Commandos" shows this knife in wear during commando training-but there's no date or location mentioned.

On a separate note, the Ross knife is a commercially modified hunting knife made to the order of Montreal businessman William Margolin . In March-April 1944 he bought 2,209 surplus Ross bayonets and 1,963 scabbards and had them converted by PAL Tool and Blade in the US. At the time there was a shortage of hunting knives in Canada. The details are in "The Ross Rifle Story" chapter 8 by Phillips, Chadwick and Dupuis. Further info is here: CSC Discussion Forum: Ross Bayonet questions......

The very meticulous work done on these particular Ross knives (sealed pommels, grips ground flush with the screws, polished blades, some even nickel plated, neat and symmetrical crossguards) are all consistent with one idea: they were made to sell in stores! That's confirmed in Manarey's pamphlet "The Canadian Bayonet".

Military cut downs don't need to come close to this kind of workmanship.

Default Re: Unknown bayonet or trench knife, probably used by Greek Sacred Squadron

Thanks for your answer FSman.
    Its probably used by Greek Sacred Squadron troops. However, i found it together with a badge and award of the 3rd Greek mountain brigade.
    aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown bayonet or trench knife or ?, help needed