Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unmarked M1860 Swords, bought from WW2 service man and collector of antiques.

Article about: I came across these 2 swords at an estate sale of a man who’s father serviced in World War 2, he sadly died in combat. I was told these swords were given to him in Annapolis after graduating

Default Unmarked M1860 Swords, bought from WW2 service man and collector of antiques.

I came across these 2 swords at an estate sale of a man who’s father serviced in World War 2, he sadly died in combat. I was told these swords were given to him in Annapolis after graduating in the navy. I was told they are ceremonial swords. I believe they are M1860 swords. They have no markings and are clearly very old. They were wrapped in 1987 news paper if that says anything. If anyone knows if they are real and what period would they have been, that’ll be great. Thank you, also I didn’t know where to post this so sorry if it’s wrong.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked M1860 Swords, bought from WW2 service man and collector of antiques.   Unmarked M1860 Swords, bought from WW2 service man and collector of antiques.  

Unmarked M1860 Swords, bought from WW2 service man and collector of antiques.   Unmarked M1860 Swords, bought from WW2 service man and collector of antiques.  

Unmarked M1860 Swords, bought from WW2 service man and collector of antiques.   Unmarked M1860 Swords, bought from WW2 service man and collector of antiques.  

I have no idea what sword that could be, but the grip reminds me partly of an Model 1822 French light cavalary sword.
    Its definitly something different, but the M1822 could have been an archetype.
    Also it was a French speciality to have Brass Grips and Hilts as far as i know.

They certainly look like the US Navy cutlass, which by the way was basically the same as the Imperial German cutlass of the same era. And in fact Solingen makers probably made the early ones used by USN. This may well be US made, but I would expect some marks on the ricasso if not stamped into the brass guard. Have a close look at the ricasso area, there may be a maker mark.

Ok, that is some really great information. Thank you very much.