Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

"untipical" mannlicher m1895

Article about: Hello! I recently saw very "untipical" mannlicher m1895 bayonet with strange "sight" fitted on top of the bayonet's crossguard. And I've never seen anything like it befor

?

Default "untipical" mannlicher m1895

Hello!
    I recently saw very "untipical" mannlicher m1895 bayonet with strange "sight" fitted on top of the bayonet's crossguard.
    And I've never seen anything like it before.
    Is it real serial model for Hungary or modern modification for price increase?
    "untipical" mannlicher m1895"untipical" mannlicher m1895

This is an additional sight, designed in a "thorn shape".

M1895 bayonets with such a "device" were used on the Mannlicher "Stutzen".

The "additional visor" on the bayonet compensated for the "high shot" when firing the Stutzen with the bayonet fixed and the shot was more on target.

There was also another version of such an "additional sight", but the one on your bayonet is rarely found.

Show me your bayonet

(#45 and #46)

@Lyus

With your bayonet M1895 Mannlicher, version for the enlisted men, the additional front sight, or auxiliary front sight, is inserted into a hole in the barrel ring.

Here, for comparison, a Mannlicher M1895 bayonet showing the other version of an additional front sight.
    This is not inserted into a hole drilled in the muzzle ring, but pushed into the slightly modified MR from the side.

BTW, you are showing us a very nice Bajonett M1895 Für die Mannschaften in very good condition, (Budapest production), thanks !

PS, is the pommel of your bayonet stamped with a troop or a unit?

"untipical" mannlicher m1895"untipical" mannlicher m1895"untipical" mannlicher m1895"untipical" mannlicher m1895"untipical" mannlicher m1895"untipical" mannlicher m1895"untipical" mannlicher m1895"untipical" mannlicher m1895

?

This modell for long rifle M95 is a war time rework to use it with Stutzen M95 or Short rifle M95 which needed the additional sight on barell ring, by some sources called Pyramiden Korn this unfortunally was not adjustable, the production is from czech area Weipert production, marked with complet doubble imperial crest which was typical for using since 1916.

?

Quote by Reibert View Post
    @Lyus

With your bayonet M1895 Mannlicher, version for the enlisted men, the additional front sight, or auxiliary front sight, is inserted into a hole in the barrel ring.

Here, for comparison, a Mannlicher M1895 bayonet showing the other version of an additional front sight.
    This is not inserted into a hole drilled in the muzzle ring, but pushed into the slightly modified MR from the side.

BTW, you are showing us a very nice Bajonett M1895 Für die Mannschaften in very good condition, (Budapest production), thanks !

PS, is the pommel of your bayonet stamped with a troop or a unit?
    Thank you @Reibert !
    Yes I have seen previously similar your m1895 with additional front sight .
    But never seen similar items from 1st post of this topic in the books or on the internet's forums.
    Can you suggest book's examples?

?

Your piece is unit marked to 14.Sappeur Batallion located in Trient. by this units were used primary Stutzen M95 short rifle. The pyramiden korn is typical for reworks done in early war.