Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

US M9 Bayonet Fun

Article about: Sharing a few variations of the modern, maybe too modern for this thread, US M9 bayonet. They are interesting to collect the different variations in maker, finish, color, scabbard variations

Very nice collection of more modern military bayonets. I know publications like Sportsman's Guide and a couple others have offered them for sale. Would love to add one like you show to my small knife collection.

Nice M9 bayonets, also, the OKC3S bayonet !

Here, in Europe, such M9 MPBS bayonets are pretty pricey ! ...

?

I have one M9 in my collection to round off the numbers in my US Bayonets lot M1 - 9 .
    It's a Phrobis III used ex US army , has the rack number engraved to the bayonet.
    Would be late 80's , early 90's issue .
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1438394

Attachment 1438395

Attachment 1438396

Attachment 1438397

I don't collect much newer militaria, but those are some fine looking knives! I would gladly add one of those to my collection.

?

That is a nice lot John,
    I only have one (see above) and I really can't get too excited about them as they are too expensive over here.
    Also the boundaries with what is military issue and commercial issue blurs the lines too much for me .
    Happy with what I have though
    Cheers Rick

?

Hello

have a look here.... enjoy !!
    M9M4 BAYONET : COLLECTION KNIFE BUCK – LANCAY – PHROBIS USA KNIVES Accueil

cordially
    Didier

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    There is a fairly rare variant produced specifically for the Australian defence forces which is broad arrow marked on the blade and scabbard. They average about $500 Australian dollars. Australian issue M9 bayonet

Alex
    Hi Alex,
    I would think a way too expensive price for what they are really. Australian Army bought 20,000 of them (20,050) to be exact . So hardly that rare in Qty made for here, and at a red hot clearance price from Buck.
    So the quality of the 188 over the price paid didn't really matter as ticked all the government accountants boxes .
    I saw one enthusiast soul offer one up a couple of weeks ago for $900 AU , might have even been on this sites classifieds from memory .
    Cheers Rick

Thing is, they're still in service and the Australian armed forces don't dispose of surplus equipment in the same way or amounts as was done in the past-and something is worth what people are prepared to pay for it...
    Last edited by lithgow; 10-25-2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: clarification

?

Rick,

Don't get me wrong in terms of manufacture I don't think they are worth that money and $900 is ludicrous but what Lithgow said is correct. Collectability plays a big role in something's market value. In terms of collecting and availability 20050 bayonets would still be a small amount and that's if they had ALL been sold as surplus. However these are still in service and I have heard reports of numerous ones breaking further reducing available bayonets to collectors. Consider how many standard US M9 bayonets were produced and presumably surplused in the US - these routinely sell in Australia for around $300. With this in mind, it doesn't surprise me that the few thousand available broad arrow marked M9s sell for what they do. Is a No. 4 Mk. I bayonet worth 10 times that of a No. 4 Mk. II just because it was milled? Of course not but collectors will pay due to lack of availability.

Alex

?

Hi Alex & Lithgow ,
    Your both right , supply and demand determines price.
    it just goes to show how when you're getting older your thinking / though processs catches up with you lol.
    I don't rate them at all , and find it hard to believe there is a pent up demand for them here in AUS.
    Cheers Rick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast