Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

USS Texas BB-35 Bayonet found

Article about: Recently workers on the USS Texas found this bayonet and scabbard "hidden" behind a sheet metal panel. The bayonet was made in 1908: It is a 1905 model bayonet for the 1903 Rifle,

?

Default USS Texas BB-35 Bayonet found

Recently workers on the USS Texas found this bayonet and scabbard "hidden" behind a sheet metal panel. The bayonet was made in 1908:

It is a 1905 model bayonet for the 1903 Rifle, The scabbard is made of canvas with a leather tip that has been stamped, “BB.”

Default Re: USS Texas BB-35 Bayonet found

Very nice bayonet...I had one marked to USS NC BB55 I gave it to the USS NC museum in the late 70s....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

It's funny where things still turn up. Just to think that probably hasn't been touched for that long. Kinda creepy.

?

Cool find, ..............I have a soft spot for 16" US bayonets.

These also fit the Garand.
    Regards,
    John

?

The USS Texas was launched in 1912, could it be possible this bayonet was part of the original armory of 1903 rifles and accessories?

Picture of USS Texas Sailors marching with 1903 rifles Pre-WW2, exact date unknown:

According to the USS Texas Museum, in WW2 the USS Texas Armory had M1 Garand Rifles. But I can't find any wartime pictures of such. I do have a picture of a Marine on board the USS Texas during the D-Day landings guarding Germans brought on-board with a Reising SMG:

?

Neat piece.

?

Very interesting find, you can bet that a swabby came up short on an issued item and, whether he lost it or a shipmate hid it from him, had his butt hung out to dry for it!

The scabbard is a M1910 and was probably issued after WW1 (post-1918) since the Navy was not a combat user of the M1903. It could even date to the vessel's service during WW2 when the M1 Garand was on issue.

For accurate information of the various scabbards used with the M1905 bayonet, see Gary Cunningham's "Bayonet Points", #43 at:

Bayo_Points_43

The detailed photos and descriptions will tell you when your bayonet may have been issued. Enjoy.

?

Quote by USNV5 View Post
    The detailed photos and descriptions will tell you when your bayonet may have been issued. Enjoy.
    Sorry for the confusion, the bayonet is not mine, it belongs to the State of Texas and they are planning on displaying it on the ship at a later date. I am a long-time supporter of the USS Texas, the ship has fallen on hard times, almost sinking at her moorings a few months back. There was a plan to perm dry-dock her, but that plan seems to have come apart, even after initial funding was approved by the State of Texas.

Since the Texas is the oldest BB on display in the U.S., other Battleship museums with newer ships should look at the Battleship Texas museum on how NOT to care for and display a piece of History...... very sad.