Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 german trench knife

Article about: Hi guys, im posting on behalf of my friend who recently bought this knife, we do know its a ww1 trench knife made by Karl Gottlieb, it has never been sharpened and the scabbard is a chrome f

Default ww1 german trench knife

Hi guys, im posting on behalf of my friend who recently bought this knife, we do know its a ww1 trench knife made by Karl Gottlieb, it has never been sharpened and the scabbard is a chrome finish.. other examples we have seen have a black painted scabbard and were wondering why it is bare polished metal.. here are a few pictures, i hope someone can give us some information/reason this knife has never been sharpened and why the polished scabbard.

ww1 german trench knifeww1 german trench knifeww1 german trench knifeww1 german trench knifeww1 german trench knifeww1 german trench knifeww1 german trench knifeww1 german trench knifeww1 german trench knife

Also it has a leather disk on top of the hilt around the blade that we haven't seen before

I think you will find that this is a reproduction.
    Copies of this knife are quite common, I also have one.
    Here is another.
    Ww1 german fighting knife
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for the reply, this one doesnt have a crown stamped on the blade like the one in the thread yo linked to..were there other stamps used?

Possibly, Lance who answered on the other thread will likely be able to help you better.
    I will check into it though. Maybe another member knows this of hand.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Greetings Monsta41,

Kindly move past the blade’s markings or the scabbard's flaws. Look at the orientation of the slanted cuts in the wooden handle they run in the opposite orientation as an originals should. The knife you have posted is a recent (& by the shine of the parts I’d say very recent) reproduction. Several vendors are purchasing them from India, where for whatever reason it was too hard to get the wooden grips’ orientation correct. Check out post #28 here https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...nife-370751-3/ but before you do, please note the orientation of the slants on your suspect knife and the full blade's edge first, and you will have you answer. Yes, the scabbard is a reproduction too, but not really worth the effort to explain why, though as you have noted the missing paint is a biggie.

Regards,

Lance