Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?

Article about: Hi all, Looks like I may have one of those Indian copies. The handles don't look like walnut to me. The blade length is 152mm. It's a nice knife regardless of whether it's a fake or not. Wou

Default WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?

Hi all,

Looks like I may have one of those Indian copies.

The handles don't look like walnut to me. The blade length is 152mm. It's a nice knife regardless of whether it's a fake or not.

Would anyone care to comment.

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?   WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?  

WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?   WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?  

Looks original to me.

Quote by habicht View Post
    Looks original to me.
    +1

The knife is authentic, but the scabbard may not be. My concern is the scabbard is an Indian repro that has been aged, black paint wash over the plated metal, the clip button has had the brown plastic cover cut off and the underlying metal laser etched with the traditionally seen flower motive emblem. Give us a close up photo of the button to settle it.

?

Here are pics of my 2. Both have a grind mark on the side of the blade. I cleaned one. The other is how I got them. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?   WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?  

WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?   WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?  

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Have a look at Trooper59's knife in post 1, that is authentic. The 9 grooves on the wood grip should angle away from the blade sharpened edge. In your two knives the grooves go the wrong way. Photos are not good, but I think both are also Indian made reproductions. I can also see a brown plastic covered snap button which is found on the Indian knives (these repros are still for sale new in knife shops). Being the best looking repro available, dishonest folks try to age them to look like the real deal.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Have a look at Trooper59's knife in post 1, that is authentic. The 9 grooves on the wood grip should angle away from the blade sharpened edge. In your two knives the grooves go the wrong way. Photos are not good, but I think both are also Indian made reproductions. I can also see a brown plastic covered snap button which is found on the Indian knives (these repros are still for sale new in knife shops). Being the best looking repro available, dishonest folks try to age them to look like the real deal.
    +1

V/r Lance

Here is another authentic Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife of the WW1 era, for comparison with other suspect knives.

?

Thanks for the info guys.I was wondering about them for a long time.The brown snap cover is magnetic and the blade is not polished.I looked on line and found both being sold as original. I made a list of the dealers. I was thinking why would they grind off the country of origin mark and then prep them for long term storage.I had no idea that they were doing this that long ago. I got these on 5/15/95. I was told that they came out of Spain. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Quote by rra227 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.I was wondering about them for a long time.The brown snap cover is magnetic and the blade is not polished.I looked on line and found both being sold as original. I made a list of the dealers. I was thinking why would they grind off the country of origin mark and then prep them for long term storage.I had no idea that they were doing this that long ago. I got these on 5/15/95. I was told that they came out of Spain. Rich A. in Pa.
    I don't think they have to grid off an "India" mark, the ones I've seen don't have that to begin with.

Here's another original one to add to the thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast