Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German helmets of the Second World War

Article about: Hi guys. I am relatively new to collecting helmets and decided I should try and look for a decent reference book for German helmets as those are what I plan to start collecting in the future

Default German helmets of the Second World War

Hi guys.
    I am relatively new to collecting helmets and decided I should try and look for a decent reference book for German helmets as those are what I plan to start collecting in the future. I found a book called German Helmets Of The Second World War written by a Branislav Radovic. Should I get this book? I can't seem to find any reviews of it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmets of the Second World War
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I do not own this book but I have told that it has its share of fakes.

There are many much better books out there.

Please see this thread in our forum Reference Book Library.

Third Reich Steel Helmets (ALL categories, HEER, SS, LUFT, KM)

I personally would recommend both of Ken Niewiarowicz (post #3 and #5). They are my go to books. These two books in my opinion have the best format for a reference book.

That said, both of these are out of print and while they can be found used in like new condition, they are very expensive.

So...my next recommendation is another fantastic book. The newest one as well. Accurate with great photos.

The title is: German Helmets 1916 - 1945 and authored by Jan M. Meland. It is affordable too (Asking price is $ 96 or € 82 including shipping world wide.). I have a copy and use it all the time. See post #14 in the thread above.

Here is a book review with some photos

Review : Jan Meland’s German Helmets 1916 – 1945 – German Helmet Vault

If you do decide to get it, You can by direct from Jan on his website

http://www.german-ww2-helmet.com/
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for the book recommendations.

Looking for books on the book library, I found one of the T.V. Goodapple books online for fairly cheap, "A Collector’s Guide Vol II" . Would you recommend this book as well?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Person05 View Post
    Thank you for the book recommendations.

Looking for books on the book library, I found one of the T.V. Goodapple books online for fairly cheap, "A Collector’s Guide Vol II" . Would you recommend this book as well?
    T.V. (aka Terry / M38) is a member here and highly regarded for his knowledge (a good guy too! ) .

I do not own this book unfortunately. I plan on adding it to my bookshelf one day. I am told it is a very good book. But bear in mind, it is 40 years old and the photos will not be up to current standards. and it is only one of two volumes so not sure what each volume contains.

If you are planning to get more than one helmet reference book, based on all I have heard, I would highly recommend it.

But if you are looking for only one Helmet reference book my recommendation of getting the newest quality book available is the best option. Jan's book fits this bill. It is accurate, comprehensive and has excellent large format photos.

No book is perfect however. I have 4 or 5 books and I use all of them.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for your advice, I will attempt to seek out Jan's book.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Person05 View Post
    Thank you for your advice, I will attempt to seek out Jan's book.
    I literally just used Jan's book around 5 min ago to identify a chin strap maker.

If you get it, you will not be disappointed.