MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

1957 Knights Cross

Article about: I'm new to the forum and definitely no expert in militaria. I recently picked up this 3 piece construction 57 Knights cross for a few £. It has a magnetic centre, the join lines are visible

Default 1957 Knights Cross

I'm new to the forum and definitely no expert in militaria. I recently picked up this 3 piece construction 57 Knights cross for a few £. It has a magnetic centre, the join lines are visible, the guy I bought it from said he had polished the frame which had been very tarnished. It weighs around 23 grammes. There are no markings on the frame.

I'm in no way a serious collector but the cross interested me. I have a genuine cased S&L very late production KC which I bought direct from them in 2018/19 which is really poor quality (however genuine it might be). This other cross seems to be much nicer than the S&L piece.

I'm pretty sure it's a fake but any opinions would be welcomed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1957 Knights Cross   1957 Knights Cross  

1957 Knights Cross   1957 Knights Cross  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957 Knights Cross
    P
    Many

Didn't know they faked these??

Can you show your S & L one - however poor, it would be appreciated.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi,

Yes no problem. I actually have it packed away as we are moving house however here are hopefully some better pics. You can see the poor soldering and finish. I think I paid around £100 for it with the case and ribbon but from initial contact to receiving it took around 6 months or so. One of the S&L people suggested I would need a collectors licence which I found a little odd.

I contacted them shortly after receiving it in regard to the poor soldering but got no reply!

I'm told now by S&L that they no longer supply them.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1957 Knights Cross   1957 Knights Cross  

1957 Knights Cross  

Yes, this would certainly NOT passed muster 15 years earlier!!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default More pictures of

the recent purchase

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Didn't know they faked these??

Can you show your S & L one - however poor, it would be appreciated.
    Lots of these 1957 fakes on ebay sadly Dan

The first Knights cross looks like an S&L 1980's piece. I'm a bit suspicious of the previous owners claim to have polished away tarnishing, as the frame actually looks like it had a frosted finish to it originally - visible in the images of it in the case. As for the second example, if it was purchased directly from S&L, you cannot really call it a fake 57er. It is just one of the very poor quality medals they made for the collectors market in later years.

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the confusion. The last two pictures of the one in the case in the first post are of the the actual S&L piece, as are all those in the second post.

The last post, and the other non cased pics in post one are of the piece I just bought which had been polished.

Cheers,
    Paul

Quote by OldAldy View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a fake but any opinions would be welcomed.
    The first uncased RK is indeed a fake, so-called Morigi fake. It belongs in the garbage bin.

Regards,
    Nick