Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1957er Fliegerschützenabzeichen

Article about: Acquired from two different sources during the last weeks, here are my two latest additions, the 1957er Fliegerschützenabzeichen. First, some brief information: The Fliegerschützenabzeichen

Default 1957er Fliegerschützenabzeichen

Acquired from two different sources during the last weeks, here are my latest additions, two 1957er Fliegerschützenabzeichen (both with and without the lightning bolts).

First, some brief background information:

The Fliegerschützenabzeichen [Aircrew Badge] was instituted on 26 March 1936. The badge came in three different types:

On the Fliegerschützenabzeichen für Bordfunker [Aircrew Badge for Radio Operators], AKA Fliegerschützenabzeichen mit Blitzbündel, the eagle grasped a bundle of lightning bolts [i.e. a Blitzbündel].
    The lightning bolts were absent on the Fliegerschützenabzeichen für Bordmechaniker und Bordschützen [Aircrew Badge for Flight Mechanics and Air Gunners] AKA Fliegerschützenabzeichen ohne Blitzbündel.

Following an order of 25 April 1944, personnel who were not qualified in either one of these three military occupational specialties, but who served on Luftwaffe aircraft as crewmembers could be awarded the badge without the bundle of lightning bolts and with a black wreath if they had taken part in at least 10 combat flights (an earlier award was possible if they were wounded during one of these flights). This one is known as the Fliegerschützenabzeichen ohne Blitzbündel in Schwarz.

Both badges side by side:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er Fliegerschützenabzeichen
    P
    Many

Both pieces were made by Steinhauer & Lück and are of the later (post-1968) period.

Here are some additional obverse and reverse views of the badge for radio operators...:

...and of the badge for air gunners and flight mechanics:

As always, all comments are welcome.

Hi Andreas,

Two nice examples by Steinhauer & Luck, these are becoming more collectable.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Excellent condition and nicely photographed! Thanks for the background information also. Bob