Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bundeswehr Belt Buckle

Article about: Hello All, I hope every one is well and good! This is one of two belt buckles donated to the charity shop where I work. I am 99.99% sure this one would be circa 1950 plus. If I have missed a

Default Bundeswehr Belt Buckle

Hello All,

I hope every one is well and good!

This is one of two belt buckles donated to the charity shop where I work. I am 99.99% sure this one would be circa 1950 plus.

If I have missed anything please let me know. I have looked on online for prices, so if it's nothing special I can price accordingly.

Bundeswehr Belt BuckleBundeswehr Belt Buckle

The other belt and buckle is I think Russian and I will post pictures in the Russian section.

Kindest regards and many thanks,

Jonathan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bundeswehr Belt Buckle
    P
    Many

I don't think you'll find that the Bundeswehr buckle pictured is 1950's, as don't believe that type was introduced until 1962, and it remains on general issue until today.

As far as I am aware there is no way of determining date within that time frame, unless, by chance, it is stamped with one.

The value is pretty nominal.

Thank you very much for your information.

Jonathan.

?

hello, i own this buckle and is marked olc see. photo-Bundeswehr Belt BuckleBundeswehr Belt Buckle

Quote by severin View Post
    This is one of two belt buckles donated to the charity shop where I work. I am 99.99% sure this one would be circa 1950 plus.
    Quote by cvrwdvr View Post
    I don't think you'll find that the Bundeswehr buckle pictured is 1950's, as don't believe that type was introduced until 1962, and it remains on general issue until today.
    The buckle was introduced in 1965. (Of course it couldn't be from 1950, as the Bundeswehr was only founded in 1955.)

Quote by kekel View Post
    hello, i own this buckle and is marked olc see. photo-
    The marking is for Overhoff & Co. of Lüdenscheid.

[QUOTE=HPL2008;2003037]The buckle was introduced in 1965. (Of course it couldn't be from 1950, as the Bundeswehr was only founded in 1955.)

Of course you're right about the date of the foundation of the BW, but are you sure that the buckle was introduced in '65 ?

Kunstwadl lists it under the uniform improvements of 1962, and indeed shows a photograph of a BW soldier wearing the said design of buckle, purportedly taken in 1964 (page 43 , Von der Affenjacke zum Tropentarnanzug).

I know it's pretty academic whether it was '62 or '65, and probably more detail than Severin requires, but there's nothing like historical accuracy !

The 1965 date is from the book Das Ausstattungssoll der Heeresangehörigen der Bundeswehr von 1955 bis 2010 written by Lothar Schuster in cooperation with the Lehrsammlung der Logistikschule der Bundeswehr [Instructive Collection of the Bundeswehr Logistics School]. (It's on page 227.)

OK, I'm sure that your German is better than mine, and the work that you quote from is more definitive !

Anyway, on re-reading Kunstwadl, it appears that the uniform improvements of 1962 weren't due for general issue until the end of 1964, although individuals had the option to purchase them at their own expense during 1963 (assuming my translation is correct).

So I've no doubt that the buckle didn't go on general issue until 1965.
    Last edited by cvrwdvr; 09-21-2019 at 06:09 PM.