Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bundeswehr Splittertarnmuster camo uniform?

Article about: I don't really collect Bundeswehr uniforms (though I do have a BGS Sumpftarn jacket) but I spotted this camo jacket and trousers for sale and I'm thinking 1956 Splittertarnmuster pattern? Th

Default Bundeswehr Splittertarnmuster camo uniform?

I don't really collect Bundeswehr uniforms (though I do have a BGS Sumpftarn jacket) but I spotted this camo jacket and trousers for sale and I'm thinking 1956 Splittertarnmuster pattern? The seller has no idea what it is. Are these fairly common to find?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bundeswehr Splittertarnmuster camo uniform?
    P
    Many

Not something I collect either, but to see an ensemble like this I think that is a good addition to an early BW collection.

That is golden! Purchase it and put it in your collection! I used to have a couple sets back in the late 80’s....but had to get rid of them during my divorce in 1997. I just recently acquired this jacket! Makes me happy to have another one!! 🤗

So sorry if is coming out sideways.....can’t figure out to make it come thru upright. It loads normal but once I post it it turns sideways.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bundeswehr Splittertarnmuster camo uniform?  

And no idea why it duplicated the photo too.....sideways....

Add it to the collection if you have room.
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by abqpropguy View Post
    And no idea why it duplicated the photo too.....sideways....
    Cell phone issue. If you do load to a PC and then upload it should be fine
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Jackets appear at UK Fairs relatively frequently (but they're not common)...but the trousers / "pants" and much much rarer......if the price is good buy'n'trade-on...especially if they're a good size

Well, I managed to buy the jacket & trouser set for the equivalent of UK 45 pounds (including postage). So I think I did OK. When they arrive I'll take some better photos. I did a bit of reading and it seems they made three colour variations. My one seems to be the "blue" version. I beliieve abqpropguy posted a picture of the "green" jacket. The trousers from my set appear faded from use, the jacket being correct tone and colour.
    Seems like there is some evidence that some American Forces units used the Bundeswehr Splittertarn uniforms (Special Forces?) in late 1950's or early 1960's. See photo attached. The other photo is the camo uniform being worn by Bundeswehr soldiers probably in the same era.Bundeswehr Splittertarnmuster camo uniform?Bundeswehr Splittertarnmuster camo uniform?

These uniforms appear to be collectable in Germany, as a search on E-Bay. de will reveal, but outside Germany can be bought quite cheaply, either because there is not much of a market for them and/or the sellers are unaware of what they are, or don't think they are very sought after.
    About 3 yrs ago I picked up an average condition splittertarn jacket for £10, and a fully badged affenjacke for £30, at the Military Odessey Show in Kent - very affordable Cold War military history!
    Not quite sure why you think US soldiers wore these garments.
    The upper photo shows soldiers in splittertarn, but I think that they're BW.
    The only weapon visible (on the middle soldier) has the sling attached to the side of the butt in classic German style, and appears to be an HK G3, whilst the headgear shown is a bit indistinct, but one resembles a BW OD moleskin cold weather cap, whilst the other is possibly an M43 style BW feldmutze, although I'll admit that from the indistinct image the style of the cap does appearAmerican, and the badge doesn't appear to be the BW crossed swords and cockade, but hard to say.
    If they are American they could be on a BW course or attachment. I know that BW soldiers on attachment to US Forces in America often wore US uniform with BW rank / insignia & headgear, so maybe the same applied in reverse.

An interesting question, did US forces ever use Splittertarnmuster uniforms? In the photo of the "alleged Americans" the head wear is interesting as the guy on the right is not wearing (to my eye) M43 type hat. Shape is too rigid and straight. But he could be wearing a Ridgeway/"Springup" field cap. The other guy wears some sort of winter padded cap. The rifle wooded stock with sling, from what we can see might just as easily be a M1 carbine. In fact look at the man on the left, a rifle is sticking out of his back pack, could well be the M1 carbine. Small US units training with German troops may have used the uniform. The situation with Special Forces in Vietnam and "Tiger Stripes" comes to mind. Be interesting to see what else emerges.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast