Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cord cutter knife of the BW

Article about: Hi, mates ! Want to show you this "Kappmesser, fliegendes Personal, mit Lederscheide", ("cord cutter knife, flying personnel, with leather scabbard"), of the Bundeswehr.

Default Cord cutter knife of the BW

Hi, mates !

Want to show you this "Kappmesser, fliegendes Personal, mit Lederscheide", ("cord cutter knife, flying personnel, with leather scabbard"), of the Bundeswehr.

This knife was part of the survival kit of crews of the "Transall" transport planes, helicopter crews, also was fixed in the chute-box of the ejection seat, as far as I know, in the "Phantom F4F".

Such knive´s were also used in units of the "Fernaufklärer", ("Lurp´s"), in the "Grenzschutzgruppe 9", ("GSG 9"), also in the close-combat school in Hammelburg, and, utilized in Special Units, (for example, "Einzelkämpfer").

The knife, manufactured by Rudolf Weber jr., (Logo "Hirschkrone"), replaced the "PUMA Auto-Messer", (in service since 1967), in 1984 and was issued in the Bundeswehr till the mid of the 90´s.

These knive´s are really heavy, also, solid tool´s and, (for sure), pretty usable as a combat knife also !

Cheers,
    R.

Cord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BW

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cord cutter knife of the BW
    P
    Many

?

Nice heavy piece of kit, and very similar in styling to the "Wilkinson Sword Survival Knife"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cord cutter knife of the BW  

A member of the Bundeswehr, a Fernspäher, (the long-distance reconnaissance troop / long-range reconnaissance patrol, or LRRP (pronounced "lurp"), recently wrote to me:

"The Morakniv Companion is the knife of the German special forces.
    This knife is recommended for every SERE (survival) course (overcoming obstacles, dangers, reaching a safe goal, or, smashing through enemy lines), and is also sold to the participants there.
    Otherwise, many also use the COLD RESPONSE exercises in Norway to stock up on them (hang en masse in every Norwegian tent so that they can cut themselves free if necessary).
    Many also buy nicer Scandinavian knives in Norway."

Further:
    "Incidentally, fighting with a knife is not an issue at all in the Bundeswehr.
    There is not a single course, or training module, on this subject.
    The sole fact of being attacked with a knife is part of training."

"Knife fights with the Fernspäher and the KSK are not practiced explicitly.
    The modern backup weapon is the pistol and if you carry an MP5sd or MP7sd, for example, you have the G36kA4/G38 and a P8c/P12/P30 with you.
    A lot would happen before you got to the knife and you would rather invest time in martial arts and the gun."

The soldier continues to write to me:
    "But here are a few photos, from a non-public book, about the Fernspäher.
    Maybe there is an interesting way of wearing it."

"By the way, the most interesting edged weapon I've seen during my service is the "Goldene Machete" ("golden machete"), which you get if you pass the Brazilian jungle fighting course."

He also writes to me:
    "You are welcome to use the photos as the staff is not up to date.
    The book has an edition of less than 100 copies, came directly from the Bundeswehr printers and only Fernspäher got it.
    This is only intended for your own use, including real names and unedited photos.
    So it won't be on sale anywhere anytime soon ^^ "

By the way, the bayonets should be US Army M7s.

The "Kappmesser, fliegendes Personal, mit Lederscheide" der Bundeswehr was delivered by Rud. Weber jr., Solingen, trademark "Hirschkrone", as well as the "PUMA-AUTOMESSER"
    Cord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BW
    Last edited by Reibert; 01-30-2023 at 10:28 PM.

By the way, I'm looking for this book:

53 Jahre
    Chronik der Fernspählehrkompanie 200
    1962-2015

Quote by Reibert View Post

"The Morakniv Companion is the knife of the German special forces.
    This knife is recommended for every SERE (survival) course
    "SERE-Training"
    (Englisch: Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape training)
    Auf Deutsch:
    "Überlebens-, Ausweich-, Widerstands- und Fluchttraining"

I really like these utility knives, which I'm sure also make good combat knives.

Just a few days ago, I was able to bid on such a knife again from the manufacturing company Rudolf Weber jr. , which, after a renewed tender in 1983, was awarded the contract to produce this "Kappmesser, Fliegendes Personal".
    From 1984 "Hirschkrone" manufactured this knife under the TL 7340-0010

This is a used knife with corresponding signs of wear.

Blade length: 156 mm
    Handle Length: 119mm
    Total length: 275mm
    Blade Thickness: 6.6mm
    Blade width: 28.5mm at the handle to 36mm at the widest point of the blade

Knife weight: 300 grams
    Weight of the knife with sheath: 360 grams

There are 12 grooves on the back of the blade as thumb rests.
    Serrations on the lower part of the blade.
    Back cut to approx. 65mm length.

The front part of the blade can be used as a "hammer".
    The "head-heavy" blade is very well suited for "hacking" and "batoning".

Cord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BW

Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"

Cord cutter knife of the BWCord cutter knife of the BW