Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Distinguishing early/late 57er hardware...

Article about: Following up Terry's question how to distinguish early from late, by simply looking at the hardware. Here is a comparison I made between several pin types from my collection. There are a few

Great addition Nick, a mystery or another Deumer waiting to be confirmed ? I have seen the hinge assembly before or something similar on a Deschler wound badge, however the Deumer quality is all there.............I have three EK I spanges early, mid and late all St u L pieces and two EK II ones.....and early and a mid/late. Although the early one was bought from Karsten in early January, but has yet to surface, not unlike Karsten who has disapeared from view !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 04-06-2014 at 07:14 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Distinguishing early/late 57er hardware...
    P
    Many

Quote by oradour View Post
    Great addition Nick, a mystery or another Deumer waiting to be confirmed ? I have seen the hinge assembly before or something similar on a Deschler wound badge, however the Deumer quality is all there.
    Thanks Steve!

Regards

Default Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuz

S&L first pattern "B"-frame unmarked

Production period: 1957 to early 1960s

If the cross is unmarked, the frames are made of 'neusilber' (Nickel silver).

It is generally accepted that the "B"-frame was made with a repaired "A"-frame die, the "A"-frame being wartime. This can be concluded because of the 'dent row' on the 3 o'clock arm of the frame, it is also present on wartime S&L RKs although less apparent.

More information on the "C"-frame comes later, but for now how do we distinguish the "B"-frame from the "C"-frame? The easiest way is by looking at the loop eye.

-->"B"-frame: loop eye does not dip below the frame
    -->"C"-frame: loop eye dips below the frame

The size of the S&L RK is approximately: 48 x 48 mm

Distinguishing early/late 57er hardware...Distinguishing early/late 57er hardware...

First pattern core in matt black paint, should always be magnetic!

Obverse date on first pattern core:

Reverse date on first pattern core with known flaws, it's possible the series of lines is less outspoken due to paint thickness. The date flaw is something I noticed on my RK. Not all crosses have it.....

Here is a more detailed photo of the loop eye, you can clearly see the eye doesn't dip below the frame. 57er RKs came with a single loop, not to be mistaken with the double loop on a post war Souval RK!

Knee flaw on "B"-frame:

Dent row on "B"-frame:

Beading flaws on "B"-frame. The less beading flaws, the earlier the cross.

Last edited by Nick Hessens; 12-26-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Great information Nick, and neat graphics, keep up the good work !
    Prost ! Steve.

Default The 57er DKIG

Here we have three makers of the DKIG, all are of very earliest production run with lovely enamel red ring. It is thought that because of the very good quality of the DK on the far right, it was made by Deumer. There is no further proof however, only speculation.

And since Deschler was a wartime maker of the DK and we know they made 57ers for a very short period, we can only assume the first DK, also the hardest to find of the three, was made by them. Furthermore the catch on the reverse is identical to that used on their EK1.

The Deumer DK shown here is the rarer 6-rivit version with narrow pin. Note that the pin has a unique tool mark near the sterm. They can also be found with 4 rivits and with a broad pin. There is also a significant difference in weight between the St&L and the other makers. The St&L was made with a cupal backplate, therefore it weighs much less than its sisters.

A closer look at the wreaths and EK centers;

1. Deumer DK with wartime Godet style wreath.

2. Very early St&L DK with unflawed wreath

3. Deschler DK, thicker EK beading

Last edited by Nick Hessens; 01-02-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Excellent thread.Thanx.

Excellent thread, thanks Nick !
    Regards
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2