Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Found these gas masks...Need help please!

Article about: I just got these two gas masks and was wondering what war they are from....WW1 or WW2 also the actual names of each one and what they could possibly be worth. Also, after doing some research

repthobo
    ?

Question Found these gas masks...Need help please!

I just got these two gas masks and was wondering what war they are from....WW1 or WW2 also the actual names of each one and what they could possibly be worth. Also, after doing some research on the net, i have yet to see any other canisters like these with the horizontal lines. All the other ones ive seen have the vertical lines (metal trash can look) They have original canisters and unused filters!

PLEASE HELP!!! (I have more pics)

2. # ADS

Default Re: Found these gas masks...Need help please!

Hallo there, nice masks! I believe the first is a GM-30, which was used in the 1930s by both the military and civillian population.

The second is a GM-54, used by the military post-war.

When you refer to the horizontal-lined filters, these are probably common Russian filters you have seen, though this type of mask always (as far as I know) uses this type of filter. Modern gas masks also use filters of similar design. Infact, your filters may well be post-war (or replaced), but I have no knowledge on them in particular.

I hope that helps, and thanks for posting them: I have to get hold of the GM-54, I love that design!

Hi Repthobo

The civil population of Belgium had gasmasks with these type of canisters. Are there any Dutch or French words on them?

Also don't put these on as most WWII and pre WWII gasmasks can contain Asbetos...

Greetz

Nick VR

Hello,
    both gasmask sets (mask, filter, canister) are postwar german
    they're cheap and not very desirable items, unless as part as a complete collection of german gasmasks of the 20th century.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

First is right 30's Draeger gasmask
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

sorry gentlemen, none of these gasmasks is a M30 gasmask.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

JPhilip is absolutely correct on this one...1950s Bundeswehr canister,mask and filters,although one filter is marked for civil-defense. I remember ordering one when I was about 12 yrs old and was in heaven when it arrived. Ahh, the excitement of the beginning collector...that was 30yrs ago!

The first mask that you have is a WW2 Spanish Degea Gas Mask, its just a licenced copy of the GM3O, they are quite rare too. The second mask has already been identified as a post war GM54, which is correct. I hope this helps.

Danny