Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German post war gravity knife.

Article about: Hi can anyone tell me anything about this knife. I for one have never seen another one. Not sure what it is or how old. Any help will be appreciated. Barry

Barryeye
    ?

Default German post war gravity knife.

Hi can anyone tell me anything about this knife. I for one have never seen another one. Not sure what it is or how old.
    Any help will be appreciated. Barry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German post war gravity knife.   German post war gravity knife.  

German post war gravity knife.   German post war gravity knife.  

2. # ADS

Dave Alexander
    ?

Default Re: German post war gravity knife.

If I remember correctly this was a standard issue in the Bundeswehr in the '50s and '60s, at least that is when I saw them using them. It was a design that was developed in the '30s and was updated with a new one in the '70s using more modern materials. Somewhere on there it should have the letters BW and probably Solingen on the blade and maybe an eagle on the handle. Probably worth $80 - $100 US.

Barryeye
    ?

Thanks for that Dave. Some questions. I thought the Bundeswehr was the West German army. I made the assumption that such knives are for air crews and paras?
    Can’t find a BW on it but it does have the eagle. I have a belt buckle with the same eagle that I was told was East German. Was I told wrong or did both armies use the same eagle?
    Bloke I got it off told me that these knives were never released as surplus and only broken or stolen knives got out. Mine was broken when I got it but has since been repaired. The lanyard staple is missing. (I lost it)
    Just how common are these knives?
    Barry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German post war gravity knife.   German post war gravity knife.  

Dave Alexander
    ?

The DDR (East German Army) didn't use an eagle, their belt buckle had the hammer and compass that you see on all their badges, flags etc. These knives were not exclusive paras and aircrews the Budeswehr(West German Army) personnel that I came into contact with were infantry, artillery, engineers etc., and all of them carried these knives. If yours doesn't have the BW it's possible that this was released as a civilian version. All I can see on the blade is Othello (maker's mark) and rostfrei (rust-free or stainless) but in the botton left photo I seem to see a W on the ricasso, maybe it's just the light. If these were never released as surplus it's possible that someone purloined it and tried to grind the BW off. All speculative of course but it does open other interesting avenues.

Hi Barry,
    As said it is west german, I had one given to me by the german army as a leaving gift. they are not to common but do hold a good price, This one came from the Jager Regt, but are known as german paratrooper knives, ie c1950,s .
    dave

Barryeye
    ?

Many thanks Panzer 3. Thanks to you and others on this forum I now have a much clearer picture of a knife I’ve owned for years. It is the only knife that I own that I have never until now seen another. I do like it but must admit that it is not the most practical piece of kit I’ve come across. I guess that if you’re a para and your hanging from a tree it’s one handed opening mechanism might be an asset but apart from that I don’t see much merit in this kind of knife. However when showing off my small collection everyone enjoys pointing it at the ceiling then pointing it at the floor then up then down and on and on. You say they hold a good price. I’ve never seen one come up for sale. Have you any idea of what they might fetch? Not looking to sell but just interested. Barry

This is the 1st Pattern, (Model 1956), German "Bundeswehr" Airborne gravity-knife.

Also Bundeswehr tank-crews used this knife !

There´re two models of the 1956-pattern gravity-knife.
    The first, without the "Bundesadler" marked upon on one of the grip-plates, and then, the 2nd model, with the "Bundesadler" marked upon on one of the grip-plates.

German post war gravity knife.  

BTW:

In 1963 the 1956-pattern gravity-knife in the Bundeswehr was replaced by this, (take-down), -model:

Barryeye
    ?

Many thanks Reibert. I doubt that there is much for me to know now. That second model looks like a vast improvment on the first one. I'd much prefer to own one of those. The first moel is not to my way of thinking well designed. How common is the first model in collecting circles?
    Barry

Quote by Barryeye View Post
    ... How common is the first model in collecting circles? ...
    I really guess, in the US there´re more of this knive´s in collector´s - hand´s, than here in Austria, or even in Germany ...
    In Germany since yrs. it´s forbidden by law, to own such knive´s ...

Seriously, here´s the value of the ´56-Pattern about 30,-- to 50,-- Euro´s.

But: Some guy´s are payin´ 80,-- Euro´s or more ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast