Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German World War II hat idenitification

Article about: Thankyou

Quote by fruitopal View Post
    Hello,

Please see my reply to reneblacky below
    Sorry Mate I can't help any more, but I'd love to read what your Mum can reminisce.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German World War II hat idenitification
    P
    Many

Quote by fruitopal View Post
    My dad drove the ammunition lorries in the second world war. I always understood (from mam who is still with us) that he brought this home with him. However, if it is a 1975 model I can't for the life of me work out how he got it. Never travelled abroad again other than coach trips with my mam and she would have known if he'd got in Germany or elsewhere. He was there when Belsen was liberated and I wondered if he had picked it up there. Shall have a discussion with mam and see what she says. The plot thickens !

- - ------- - -

Thankyou
    There is no 'if it is' about it, this is definitely a Bundeswehr cap, and I would respectfully suggest that it is something your father picked up from the 1980's onwards. Bundeswehr militaria was - and still is quite easy to come by in England, and there is no need to travel to Germany to purchase it.

?

Maybe it’s silly to form conjectures, but I can easily envision a wife asking “where did this come from?” and a husband answering “I brought it back from the war” rather than admit he bought it at pawn shop/whathaveyou because he thought it was cool...

Lol - I can't say my dad wouldn't have done something like that ! But all due respect to him though he was involved with D Day, Belsen etc but didn't talk about it very much. I do know that he wasn't a worrier because he always said if he could get through a war he could get through anything!

Just on a technical point, and I'm assuming that your father was British if he was involved in the 'liberation' of Belsen, but he would have served in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC), rather than the 'Ammunition Corps'.
    As stated by numerous others, the cap is a post war Bundeswehr other ranks' peaked cap of the Pioneer Arm, as denoted by the black waffenfarbe (piping). These can be readily found in the UK at a trivial cost.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2