Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GSG9 Helmet?

Article about: Hi all. Picked this up in a surplus shop. Obviously German in origin and made in 1988 judging by the label. I have seen photos of similar helmets being used by GSG 9 but with a sumpftarn cov

Default GSG9 Helmet?

Hi all. Picked this up in a surplus shop. Obviously German in origin and made in 1988 judging by the label. I have seen photos of similar helmets being used by GSG 9 but with a sumpftarn cover, sometimes with visor, sometimes without. I have not been able to find a complete picture of the helmet with liner however so am wondering if anyone can confirm the origin of this helmet? Any help is appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GSG9 Helmet?   GSG9 Helmet?  

GSG9 Helmet?   GSG9 Helmet?  

GSG9 Helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GSG9 Helmet?
    P
    Many

Hi Spitace
    Interesting helmet that.... the only information I can help you with is its Origin... its Austrian made by Heinrich Ulbrichts Witwe the U Ww on the label
    the leather liner is standard M75 M1 clone combat helmet liner... hope someone else recognises the type?? not one I have came across before!!!

Some pics of an M75 thermoplastic liner showing maker mark.. I would hazard a guess your helmet would be that of Riot police???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GSG9 Helmet?   GSG9 Helmet?  

Many thanks for that Austro. I had not made the connection with the M75 liner and would probably not been able to find the maker. Very interesting it being Austrian. I was basing the GSG9 thing on pics that I have seen which show a similar helmet in wear, albeit with a cover and no shots of the liner. Maybe this is an Austrian copy? I am impressed by the weight of it.

GSG9 Helmet?  
    Attached Images Attached Images GSG9 Helmet? 

Not my area James but believe you are correct in your assumption and i would lean towards it being a West German helmet from Ulbrichts too The German democratic republic also had there own covert counter-terrorism unit using similar close combat helmets ,the only other assault helmet from around this time period would be the Swiss manufacture Tig ,quite a heavy piece to handle i imagine as i believe they were made from titanium and must of set you back a fair few pounds .Nice find

Hi James. Thanks for the input. It is certainly the heaviest helmet I have handled to date. Price wise it was quite reasonable.

Both TIG (Switzerland) and Ulbrechts (Austria) produced titanium helmets, though the liners were different. GSG-9 used them for sure, as did the Soviet Union and DDR. The Soviets later copied it and the resulting helmet is known as the Altyn. Over the years I'm sure there's been other special law enforcement units that have received them, even if hand-me-downs from others. So to answer your original question, it's entirely possible the one you have was a GSG-9 helmet but without some documentation it's impossible to know if it was.

Here's a page about them that seems pretty accurate:

PSH-77 | Equipment Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Steve

Thanks for the info and link Steve. I had no idea that this type of helmet had so many users so I assumed GSG-9 but as you say, no way of knowing for sure.

Quote by James C View Post
    The German democratic republic also had there own covert counter-terrorism unit using similar close combat helmets ,the only other assault helmet from around this time period would be the Swiss manufacture Tig ,quite a heavy piece to handle i imagine as i believe they were made from titanium and must of set you back a fair few pounds .
    The men in the third photo are indeed East German. (Note camo pattern and belt buckles.)

Thanks Andreas and to be honest i quickly scanned past James's second posting but now realise he did indeed share a picture of The EG Diensteinheit IX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast