Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen silver

Article about: Hello my friends. I won this Verwundetenabzeichen on ebay.de. The description said WW1 wound badge. From what i see (too late now) it looks like a denazified ww2 wound badge. or worst a fake

Default Verwundetenabzeichen silver

Hello my friends.
    I won this Verwundetenabzeichen on ebay.de.
    The description said WW1 wound badge. From what i see (too late now) it looks like a denazified ww2 wound badge. or worst a fake one..
    What do you think?
    Thanks

Stratos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Verwundetenabzeichen silver   Verwundetenabzeichen silver  

Verwundetenabzeichen silver   Verwundetenabzeichen silver  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen silver
    P
    Many

Hi Stratos,

It's a post war '57 award (hence no swastika) by Robert Souval, note the 'claw' catch.

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Stratos,

It's a post war '57 award (hence no swastika) by Robert Souval, note the 'claw' catch.

Regards, Ned
    Yep, I agree. This one qualifies as one of the earlier Souval '57 SWB so one of those made for veterans rather than specifically for collectors as the later ones were (if you choose to make that distinction). Some Souval WB were maker marked but not all by any means. As Ned points out that catch is very distinctive.
    Some collectors have issues with some Rudolf Souval products as, according to folklore, they never stopped making badges after the war. This was partly because being in Vienna, Austria the stringent German anti nazi laws didn't have the same effect and also the old "supply and demand" thing for souvenirs among allied troops. However, this being a '57 badge that is much less of an issue.

I can see why you thought this had been de-nazified due to the worn finish where the swastika would have been. However this being the high point of the badge it is where the natural wear in use would occur and as such is perfectly right.

In short, no it isn't a TR piece but it is a valid German military award and as such is collectible in its own right. If you don't want it there are plenty of '57 collectors out there who will.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Ned and Mark.
    It is very informative. I was carried away by the seller's (Austrian) description about WW1 piece, then i saw period examples and WW2 examples and that's i came to a denazified conclusion..
    At least it is an original piece even though not TR.
    Thanks again both of you for sharing your knowledge!!
    Regards

Stratos

I agree with all thats been said.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I agree with all thats been said.
    As do I !
    I have a few in my collection, 57er versions, and a set of Legion Condor ones.
    The one shown above displays textbook Souval rear hardware, but depending on production time period, a mixture of his own and St u L were used ! see below...............
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Verwundetenabzeichen silver   Verwundetenabzeichen silver  

Attached Images Attached Images Verwundetenabzeichen silver  Verwundetenabzeichen silver  Verwundetenabzeichen silver 

Hi Steve, very nice and mint state collection you have.
    Mine is like it was really been to war!
    Thank for the info.

Stratos