Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

West-German Paratrooper qualification badge 1956-1957 - Jump wings

Article about: Hello, the first paratroopers of the Bundeswehr were recruited from 1956 to 1957 with the 11th ABN Div. trained in Ausgsburg. Separate courses were held there for prospective German basic pe

Default West-German Paratrooper qualification badge 1956-1957 - Jump wings

Hello,

the first paratroopers of the Bundeswehr were recruited from 1956 to 1957 with the 11th ABN Div. trained in Ausgsburg. Separate courses were held there for prospective German basic personnel. From 1957 onwards, the Bundeswehr did its own training in the airborne and air transport school.

After completing the airborne course, the German participants received the US Army Airborne basic parachutist badge ("Jump Wings") together with a certificate. The jumps were recorded in a US jump book.

But there were peculiarities. The German graduates received a background trimming / oval in the national colors black, red and gold.
    These ovals are made like the US model and in my opinion are probably made in the US.

Details in background trimming are very important because they are rare and often copied.
    They should have the same fabric texture and weave structure as the US pieces. The yellow of these badges is more golden yellow and not lemon yellow.
    Here in comparison with a "jump wing" from the 11th ABN. DIV. which I received from a former relative.

Well-known silver "jump wings" awarded at the time to German graduates unmarked pieces with typical feather details (probably made by Assmann). These unmarked pieces are only available in the basic version and are certainly made in Germany. I don't know whether other badges were also issued, perhaps from US production.

There were also embroidered badges with a white and silver symbol. I can't say how these were spent. Whether they were delivered for business purposes and whether you had to buy them privately. There are different versions of these. I've been able to identify three so far. I own two myself. The third is smaller, has coarser background trimming and was made in Germany.

-

-

In addition, wings were noticed that were sewn onto work suits and, illegally, onto combat uniforms. They have the German HBT as their underground.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement West-German Paratrooper qualification badge 1956-1957 - Jump wings
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Great thread
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Some interesting information there !

Is it known who manufactured the '57 variant / reproduction , and we're they simply mementoes, or were they ever worn illicitly by qualified personnel ?

Regarding the oval, mine appears to be pretty similar to that shown above, but feedback welcomed !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture West-German Paratrooper qualification badge 1956-1957 - Jump wings   West-German Paratrooper qualification badge 1956-1957 - Jump wings  

Hallo,

thanks for the pictures.

The oval looks similar to the contemporary pieces. If you look closely, I think you can see differences in details. The weave of the yellow fabric, the yellow color and the dimensions and style of the red and black areas.

My first view leans towards to this reproduction: (They are also available with jump wing embroidery.)

fruhe Bundeswehr - Seite 2 - Fallschirmjager der Bundeswehr - Militaria Fundforum

This post argues that it could be a USA copy.

Sorry, you do not have permission for that!

I don't know where they were ultimately made.
    Many of the pieces are productions from the company "Kalka Ausburg". This company also had a store in Augsburg near the US barracks.

This company sold chrome or nickel plated jump wings in basic, senior and master with this oval. Some (not all) were also marked "KALKA Augsburg" on the back.
    "Dieter R. Kalka Maschinenstickerei Gbr" was a machine embroiderer. I don't know how long KALKA sold these reproductions, but it could have been decades, with corresponding changes to the products.

Here is a reproduction by Kalka. The background trimming has a different basis. But the red and black stripes match.

CBH
    ?

Great thread, you learn something new everyday.

Excellent thread.

The 11th Airborne division is one that has been in the shadows for many years regarding duty in Germany and this has been a very informative aspect of their presence in Germany..

Smitty

A very interesting & educational thread, thanks. Regards paul.

Many thanks for the detailed feedback.
    I'm wondering if there was a preference amongst jump qualified personnel for any particular badge amongst those discussed, and the current design ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Excellent thread.

The 11th Airborne division is one that has been in the shadows for many years regarding duty in Germany and this has been a very informative aspect of their presence in Germany..

Smitty
    Hello,

yes the 11th ABN Div. was only in Germany from 1956 to 1958. Also used in Lebanon during this time.

Interestingly, soldiers of the 11th ABN DIV. received German helmet covers in splinter camouflage.

LEBANON 1958: Dancing Between The Raindrops By Yankee Papa - Grunts and Co

American paratroopers, Beirut airport. National Archives

Regards

In this context. Could this be this badge?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast