Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Afrika Korps hat.

Article about: Brother has had this cap forever. It looks good to me and I think it's Afrika Korps, or at least my brother says it is. It is vented.

Default Afrika Korps hat.

Brother has had this cap forever. It looks good (kind of) to me and I think it's Afrika Korps, or at least my brother says it is (he was told that). It is vented. I've never seen one like it.

Afrika Korps hat. Afrika Korps hat. Afrika Korps hat. Afrika Korps hat. Afrika Korps hat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Afrika Korps hat.
    P
    Many

Never seen the likes! Austrian cockade? Certainly not DAK!!!! or Army

Can confirm this has nothing to do with the DAK. It looks to be a Frankenstein item cobbled together.

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Can confirm this has nothing to do with the DAK. It looks to be a Frankenstein item cobbled together.
    so someone sewed a hat together and put emblems on it? or the hat is from some other military?

Hello.

The construction appears quite cheap and i'd say the cap is not very old.

The cap most likely started its life as something else; e.g a simple biker cap or something like the image below. Then someone has attached the military items to embellish the look of it. We may never know.

I'd like to see better images of the bird too.
    Attached Images Attached Images Afrika Korps hat. 
    Last edited by christek; 11-11-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Quote by christek View Post
    Hello.

The construction appears quite cheap and i'd say the cap is not very old, and most likely not military at all.

The cap most likely started its life as something else; e.g a simple biker cap or something like the image below. Then someone has attached the military items to embellish the look of it. We may never know.

I'd like to see better images of the bird too.
    I would probably disagree, it looks likely to be Austrian, a summer white top. Possibly gendarmerie or some police type. The grey band is what gives it away .

Morris

I think you are correct Morris.
    Attached Images Attached Images Afrika Korps hat. 

I agree, Austrian Police probably '50s - '60s.

If you look under the sweatband at the front and sides you may be able to see the holes from the original Austrian insignia which were attached with wire prongs.
    (Sometimes the badge at the side, which if I recall correctly indicates the station/district, was stitched through two holes in the left and right edges rather than prongs which can make it harder to spot)

I don't beliive there is any hope of the eagle being a genuine piece either.

Even if you could find original Austrian insignia to restore it to the correct configuration I doubt it would be worth the effort.

Don't think this was ever near the desert let alone the DAK.

Sorry

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-11-2020 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark I thought it looked period but I know nothing about visor caps of this kind. I'll have my brother take some photos of the eagle, it may not be any good either. I thought posted initially that I thought it "looked good (kind of) because it is old, but I could never find any pictures of it years and years ago which made me suspicious of it. I posted it as DAK simply because that is what he was told. I appreciate the responses, they are what I expected to hear. I am glad we can and or are in the right direction of what the cap was originally. He has another one a black one with red piping someone faked into an officers crusher cap but when they were done they forgot about the buttons on either side had cannons and the British crown on them. Took me 5 seconds to tell him what it was. Our friend bought it like that, I identified it and he gave it to my brother. Not one I am going to post anywhere on here, just another one like the first one I posted. I feel kind of bad, the hat I posted in the thread is so bad makes me feel kind of like an idiot for posting it to begin with. Should have just stuck with my suspicion.

?

Hi SimonSorenKam,
    don't feel bad! Every post helps others who aren't very deep in this subject.

KMMoris, christek and Watchdog, you are absolutely right, this is an Austrian Gendarmerie Verkehrsdienst (traffic) visor cap of the 1960ies (later caps already had the edged version of a plastic-covered leather peak/visor). The badge at the side should be a flaming grenade indicationg Gendarmerie. Austrian police had an eagle's head behind a brick wall and a green centerband. Christek: your photo shows a cap for "Dienstführende Beamte" with embroidered insignia.
    What is interesting, is that it has the small police cockade instead of the bigger Gendarmerie-cockade.

Afrika Korps hat.

Afrika Korps hat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast