Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Article about: Ben is a wonderful collector scholar, as we all know. I have a very serious adult job, which consumes a lot of my time, and I cannot translate all of this. I will leave the burden to others,

?

Default The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    Last edited by BenVK; 01-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The anatomy of the Schirmmutze
    P
    Many

Default Re: The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Ben-
    I don't have photoshop capability, but an excellent idea.
    We need to point out the 5 panels;
    the 3-rings of piping;
    butting piping;
    pleats;
    quadrant marks;
    cheesecloth;
    padding/wadding;
    pasteboard (and types of stitching);
    crown vs. peak vs schirm (visor)

and thats just off the top of my head!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is the anatomy of a Schirmmuetze in the original. You need look no farther than this.The anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the Schirmmutze

There is no need to show wrecked caps to ascertain how they were made. The pieces, raw material, and process are described here as contained in this book. The process and chronology are described in this book ca. 1935.

I also got the Peek & Cloppenburg uniform making book from 1942, which also does huge damage to the archaeology paradigm as operates on the marron dorkimer website. It is a history of military tailoring and its modernization, which is also in the UM thingies. This reality is the center of gravity here, not some list derived from looking at 250 or 350 extant caps in North America.

?

Ben , quick question, were all cap peaks ,, leather and vulcanfibre machine holed before stitching or sewn as a whole to the cap by machine or hand , i ask this as i would imagine that the vulcanfibre would be harder to sew than leather yet the polishing of the peaks would have to be done prior to sewing in each case

These are the illustrations from the book I just bought, whose text is far more revealing than the nice pictures of the P & C vimmin.The anatomy of the Schirmmutze
    Attached Images Attached Images The anatomy of the Schirmmutze 

Quote by davejb View Post
    Ben , quick question, were all cap peaks ,, leather and vulcanfibre machine holed before stitching or sewn as a whole to the cap by machine or hand , i ask this as i would imagine that the vulcanfibre would be harder to sew than leather yet the polishing of the peaks would have to be done prior to sewing in each case
    See step no 10 in the list above.

?

As always, FB can cut through 60 odd years of collector assumptions like a hot knife through butter by providing factual period evidence. Unfortunately though and much to my embarrassment, I can't read German! but I am trying.

Unless someone is currently willing to translate for us all, the knowledge will remain closed to German speakers which is a shame IMO. I understand that we all lead busy lives but how long would it take to translate a few paragraphs?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    As always, FB can cut through 60 odd years of collector assumptions like a hot knife through butter by providing factual period evidence. Unfortunately though and much to my embarrassment, I can't read German! but I am trying.

Unless someone is currently willing to translate for us all, the knowledge will remain closed to German speakers which is a shame IMO. I understand that we all lead busy lives but how long would it take to translate a few paragraphs?
    I do not mean to be cruel, but I am totally overwhelmed with work. Our hero, HPL 2008 is a machine gun translator, and I am sure he will rise to the challenge. Actually, Wilkins adapted this list in his book, but his translation is not ideal. The items in your top illustration of the ratted out army cap are under rubric five of the list, i.e. watting, gauze etc. The book describes all of this in vivid detail. I cannot translate the book, since it is too time consuming. I do not want to be a creep, but I at least provide some evidence.The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

This volume also describes in detail the crafting or manufacture of certain pieces of headgear in lurid detail.The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast