Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Captured fabric SS M43

Article about: Hello! I purchased this piece yesterday from a good, reputable collector friend who has decades of experience selling German memorabilia. This is a confirmed original cap, him and I both app

Default Captured fabric SS M43

Hello! I purchased this piece yesterday from a good, reputable collector friend who has decades of experience selling German memorabilia. This is a confirmed original cap, him and I both approved it using various sources (Europa Militaria Collection, original photographs and surviving pieces, Beaver and Shea, and a few others) which has led to a few questions. The camouflage on both front and reverse sides is one of my questions, and the second is the markings on the right hand side. The third and last is whether this camouflage is Italian or Hungarian. This cap was already missing the metal Totenkopf skull, which is evident, and there is no signs of sewing on the front. The right side has a small hole pierced, and an outline of a sideways oval behind it (the images attached explain it). My friend purchased this item in a lot from one of his friends, and neither of us have extreme knowledge on SS camouflage pieces. Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

Greetings from Germany!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captured fabric SS M43   Captured fabric SS M43  

Captured fabric SS M43   Captured fabric SS M43  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Captured fabric SS M43
    P
    Many

Looks fine
    Regards
    Santi

Hi there.

To me it looks like it is made from post war Austrian ‘Pea dot’ fabric.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captured fabric SS M43   Captured fabric SS M43  

?

Gentlemen I hate to disappoint you, but either you had bad luck or I am extremely lucky (I bought these back in the 1980ies from a US-Army surplus store), see here:

Captured fabric SS M43

Captured fabric SS M43

and here (last picture of post # 2 and post # 26, there is your cap!):

Austrian Cap....reshoot

Definitely post war camouflage... Sorry

CBH
    ?

The material used is Austrian zeltban cloth, that’s why it’s reversible.
    Postwar as stated.

I have considered the possibility of this being a post war cap, but the sewing and the difference in the outward pattern claim otherwise. The camouflage is still up for debate for me, it absolutely looks similar to the Austrian cap but I have doubts.

It lacks ventilation holes as the Austrian cap has, and is sewn in a German fashion. The Austrian caps also have sewing on the bill, an obvious feature that my cap lacks. There are statements of this cap utilizing fabric from a reversible Zeltbahn, which I disagree with, but I will not rant any longer. I truly believe now that I have been ripped off, and I will ask my friend to speak with that man whomst he purchased the lot from. Hopefully I can get my money back, and I thank all of you for your help.

Best wishes from Germany!

CBH
    ?

Here is four Austrian zeltbans made into a tent.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captured fabric SS M43  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast