Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Identifying fakes before puechase!

Article about: Ive only bought one other schirmmütze just a few weeks ago for my 22nd birthday (will post pics later) but Im already affected by the bug. And i want to get another, but before buying i thou

Default Identifying fakes before puechase!

Ive only bought one other schirmmütze just a few weeks ago for my 22nd birthday (will post pics later) but Im already affected by the bug. And i want to get another, but before buying i thought i would consult the experts of this wonderfully informative site. Can anyone assist me in the way of identifying which of these are repros/bundeswehr and which are original wartime hats? Some are quite obviously suspiciously new looking but id still like some pointers! I also have the eagle for what I was told was an "artillery Side cap" embroidered swasteagle. I appreciate it, and i hope to have another of these beautiful works of craftsmanship to my home!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying fakes before puechase!   Identifying fakes before puechase!  

Identifying fakes before puechase!   Identifying fakes before puechase!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying fakes before puechase!
    P
    Many

Well to start, the first one appears to be a post war rework. i do not like the second one as the quality seems to be very poor. i cant comment on the third cap.

MAP
    ?

Too many traits to look at to boil it down into a short/sweet checklist. Study originals and soon you will be able to spot most of the fakes (not all as that takes years).

Good that you reach out first as you develop your own skills.

First two: plastic sweat shield is a dead give away IMHO.

Last one stands a chance.

but on my cell phone so can't see all the details.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

IMO:
    First one is a BW lufty rehash, plastic sweat shield.
    Number two looks like its been made from a greatcoat maybe? Dodgy chin cord as well, possibly.
    and third may have possibilities, but need better photos for me ....

But I'm sure Mr. Stonemint will be along shortly to confirm or deny that I have learnt something
    "Per Ardua"

And of course don't forget you'll need to study, so invest in a few good books, highly recommended are Mr Saris' series Headgear of Hitlers Germany, vols 1 - 5:

HGV5

Home
    "Per Ardua"

Sir:

There are 2 sub-forums of the Cloth Headgear Forum.

The First is "A Guide to Authentic Third Reich Visor Hats." In this forum there are threads on just about every TR visor cap made.
    They are broken down by organization, and in some cases are broken down further by waffen/truppenfarbe.

The Second is a "Questionable Visor Hats" thread, which is a counterpart to the Authentic hats thread, so you can compare and contrast.

These subforums are available only to Gold Club members.

To join the Gold Club, just click the tab at the top of each page under the banner.
    (It is in green, and says "Join WRF Club"). You can then pay via paypal.

If you are serious about the hobby, and do not want to get burned, it is one of the best investments you can make, and it will save you hundreds of $$$ in the long run.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying fakes before puechase!  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

I greatly appreciate it! Here are picture of the green one as you guys said you would need! In the pictures he posted i could see in the background a framed photograph in black in white of someone (possible his ancestor) in a german uniform along with the high german military boots. Along with a blueish grey artillery hat as well so im sure of it being authentic. The only thong concerning me is at the top, an outline of the circular button associated usually with the bundeswehr... Also Herr Stonemint, i have arranged a deal with someone who has a schirmmutze he believes is from ww2, as his father is a collector but he is unsure if it is a repro or not. It is SS but coming from germany and appears to have some aging and wear to the chinchord. And upon closer inspection i could see what seemed to be the outline of a totenkopf badge. If you wouldnt mind sharing your opinion with this as well. After seeing your impressive collection id be forever in your debt! ^_^ I apologize for asking but I certainly will join the club and research what you suggested. And upon my next payday would certainly love to donate to the page!
    Best regards and a thousand thanks,
    J. Franco
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying fakes before puechase!   Identifying fakes before puechase!  

Identifying fakes before puechase!  

?

Hi,
    none of the caps shown is an original TR cap. The first, als others have already stated, is a LW-Bundeswehr cap, the second a recently made easiliy recognizable complete fake, the third a post war police cap with TR badges (don't know if these are original, as I'm no expert for these) and the last one, the black one, is, what F.-B. would call a monstruosity - also a recent, easiliy recognizable complete fake.

If they come from the same source and if the seller pretends these to be original, find another source.

Oh i apologize, my phone isacting up and i dont think im seeing all the replies. Unless i accidently reposted the same pics i did at the beginning! And no theyre different people! I am just getting opinions until i am able to do as Mr. Stonemint suggested and join the club. For im unable to until the morning, so thats why i was requesting opinions before spending the last of my $ on a fake! They seemed too good to be true and from what ive seen from other peoples experiences. It usually is

And the third one, the seller has other authentic jats and TR items along with a portrait as i said earlier of some ancestor of his. I will post the artillery schirmmutze he has which im sure is wartime

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast