Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M43 is original?

Article about: Hello. Is this cap M43 original please? Thanks for help

?

Default M43 is original?

Hello. Is this cap M43 original please?
    Thanks for help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M43 is original?   M43 is original?  

M43 is original?   M43 is original?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M43 is original?
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Hi Gusto,

Looks like it´s all good but please wait for more opinions. Personally I really like the wear and soiling on this one.

Best, Jan

Not so sure about this one... I'm not saying maker-marked examples don't exist but you will typically see an RBNr on these caps instead, as that's the system that was being used by this time in the war.

The use of the "ss" in "Schlichtestraße" strikes me as a-typical, too. Also... "SCHMIDT SOCKS"? Whether a distributor or a manufacturer, this is something I've never seen on a cap, einheitsfeldmütze or otherwise. Searching yielded nothing.

I don't see the stitch around the crown in your 6th pic either, indicating the stiff internal sweat-band material. This is one of the first things I've learned to look and feel for.

Not implying that this one is artificially aged necessarily, but bear in mind that that isn't a difficult process to do. The trapezoid looks like it could be authentic, but most of the high quality fakes I've handled actually had period-correct traps.

All that being said, I'm by no means an expert, but I do speak from experience. I've been focused all year on finding a couple more examples of good einheitsfeldmützen, and have handled many, many examples. I've turned down or (returned to the seller) far more of these caps than I've kept. Much of my experience comes from books, but the best advice I've gotten on these caps is from the generous members of this forum. I'm just passing on a bit of what's been imparted to me.

In summary - I'd be skeptical of this cap. Perhaps others with more experience will be along soon to advise.

This one has some good qualities to it, but allow me a couple observations.
    You don’t typically see the “bevo” style trapezoids zigzag stitched on. Usually the “zip and flip” method is used which a straight stitch.
    I am also concerned about the manufacturer markings too. Ive seen a few (and I mean very few) early M43s with the actual manufacturer name (versus an RB number), but this one takes up an unusually large portion of the crown lining piece!

Jan
    ?

This is exactly what this forum is about. Good and polite discussions that we can all learn from.

Best,

Jan

The denomination 'Burladingen-Hausen" could be strange too. According to Wikipedia and webpage of the town Hausen was incorporated late in 1973 to Burladingen.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

By the way: 'SCHLICHTESTRASSE' written with 'SS' instead of 'ß' is written correctly because the term is printed in capitals. Up to 2017 there was no capital for 'ß' after a debate lasting decades about this letter.

In 1941 Hitler on the one hand didn't want to abolish the letter in contrast of 'Antiqua' as favored font (to standardize orthography with foreign countries too), on the other hand he didn't allow a capital for 'ß' and prefered 'SS'. For references see articles 'ß' in Wikipedia (German and English versions):

'When the Nazi German government abolished the use of blackletter typesetting in 1941, it was originally planned to also abolish the use of ⟨ß⟩. However, Hitler intervened to retain ⟨ß⟩, while deciding against the creation of a capital form. From a writing of the 'Reichsminister der Reichskanzlei': „Der Führer hat sich für eine Beibehaltung des ‚ß‘ in der Normalschrift entschieden. Er hat sich aber gegen die Schaffung eines großen ‚ß‘ ausgesprochen. Bei der Verwendung großer Buchstaben soll das ‚ß‘ vielmehr als ‚SS‘ geschrieben werden.“ Schreiben des Reichsministers und Chefs der Reichskanzlei an den Reichsminister des Innern vom 20. Juli 1941. BA, Potsdam, R 1501, Nr. 27180. cited in: Der Schriftstreit von 1881 bis 1941 von Silvia Hartman, Peter Lang Verlag.'

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

An Italian Online Dealer "EagleMilitaria" appears to be the source of these...he has several with the identical interior & manufacturer's stamp…

Quote by GlennAgain View Post
    An Italian Online Dealer "EagleMilitaria" appears to be the source of these...he has several with the identical interior & manufacturer's stamp…
    I just checked this site out and looked through the first few pages of his headgear section. I like how almost every einheitsfeldmutze has a gigantic maker label stamped loud and proud on the lining.

TWS
    ?

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    I just checked this site out and looked through the first few pages of his headgear section. I like how almost every einheitsfeldmutze has a gigantic maker label stamped loud and proud on the lining.
    "Like" is an interesting way of putting it.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast