Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Pioneer Officer Visor Cap

Article about: Interested in this cap listed by a site sponsor. I'd like opinions the the hat overall and more specifically on the wool used, the piping and the underside color of the visor. The maker is n

Default Pioneer Officer Visor Cap

Interested in this cap listed by a site sponsor. I'd like opinions the on hat overall and more specifically on the wool used, the piping and the underside color of the visor. The maker is not listed in the Wilkins book.

Thanks!

Last edited by Docholl; 08-08-2020 at 02:58 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pioneer Officer Visor Cap
    P
    Many

?

This is an interesting piece. Georg Hanisch is listed in the 1940 Dessau addressbook as a furrier:

That said the cap could, despite its unusual features be quite real. The shape is not one of the most elegant ones, the fabric quite coarse, the material for the piping is, as you noticed, unusual as is the green reverse of the visor/peak and the sweatband (seems to have been made by Hanisch himself). The lining of the top panel is different from the one of the side panels. As a furrier he may quite well have made caps which differed from those of the big makers. He took what he had at hand without caring too much about regulations. Particularly later in the war almost anything was possible. This cap does, however, not look like a late-war cap. IMO it is an unusual but original cap.
    Any chance to get a picture from under the sweatband? I'd like to see how the lining is fixed and the sweatband/visor for a more substantiated evaluation.
    BTW, there is a cap here: Luftwaffe visor cap maker? which was distributed (not made) by Hanisch. - the differences to the cap from the OP are evident.
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 08-09-2020 at 07:12 PM.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

I'll see what I can do about getting those photos of the inside of the sweatband and the visor.

Please see photos of interior. Thanks Again!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pioneer Officer Visor Cap   Pioneer Officer Visor Cap  

?

IMO it is an original period cap. Hanisch was perhaps not one of the most sophisticated cap makers, but obviously he could sell his products.

Thank you again. I see a new purchase in my future.