Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pioneer Officers Visor Cap

Article about: Picked up this named Pioneer Officers Cap with bullion eagle and wreath...but wondering if the fabric is doe skin ?? Neat Visor dated (1940) and named on the inside and found period page fro

?

Default Pioneer Officers Visor Cap

Picked up this named Pioneer Officers Cap with bullion eagle and wreath...but wondering if the fabric is doe skin ?? Neat Visor dated (1940) and named on the inside and found period page from newspaper or magazine folded up inside the sweat band. Hopefully, I posted this to the appropriate place. I appreciate the feedback ....and thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.Attachment 1560572Attachment 1560573Attachment 1560574Attachment 1560575Attachment 1560576Attachment 1560577Attachment 1560578Attachment 1560579

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pioneer Officers Visor Cap
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Hmmm.... the double stitch line that runs on either side of the front center seam is unusual.
    The random extra hand stiches above the stamp on the sweat band are cause for further scrutiny as is the stamp that is under the Minden stamp. The Minden stamp is the type used on contract cap sweat bands but this is an officer's cap with a decidedly non-contract wool and lining.
    Not liking the visible stitches on the front of the sweatband where it meets the visor.
    Are those empty stich holes all along the visor?
    The lining also seems to have an excessive amount pleating, more than is commonly encountered.
    The underside of the visor is indicative of a very late-war cap. Those are not my specialty, so perhaps someone with better knowledge can chime in, but I am not comfortable with this cap.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

I share TWS' doubts. Looks like a reworked cap. The stamp under the Minden stamp looks like one of the HB 37 stamps one sometimes sees in earlier SS-caps. One more thing: the cap cords are of the rarely encountered Z-twisted version .
    What concerns the lining: Kornacker used this kind of pleating - and he used to sew in his sweatshild with black thread. So it could indeed be a late war, reworked Kornacker - the fabric looks like boiled wool which would also speak for the late war theory. Why the the front panels were taken apart and sewn together again in order to make the cap a little bit wider (and when) we will never know.

I agree with both opinions expressed above.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

TWS
    ?

By the way, 71Mach you are welcome.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."