Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation

Article about: Hello and welcome . I would like to know how much you can value for this copy? Bought in 2016 on the Polish website "Other Faces of History" from a well-known dealer. I'm consideri

Default Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation

Hello and welcome . I would like to know how much you can value for this copy? Bought in 2016 on the Polish website "Other Faces of History" from a well-known dealer. I'm considering purchasing the M38 bell coupon this year, so I decided to go for sale. Thank you for all your suggestions. Regards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation   Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation  

Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation   Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation
    P
    Many

?

Hello Mariusz,
    We don’t give valuations on this forum, but I would suggest your best move would be to list it on eBay, as a replica, and find out. I don’t imagine it will be more than you paid for it.
    Good luck with your next project.
    Best regards,
    Rob

I understand. Aha, so you assume that it is a copy. Aha, nice information for the beginning, ok, I have a quote, now I'm more interested in verification because it was supposed to be original.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and also for the success of the project, but first I need to dispel all doubts because I am in shock

I believe that the Kriegsmarine Tally is fake, but the cap itself looks okay to me...Am I missing something?

?

4 things make me believe that this is a copy: the way and the place the piping joins, the shape (this is not Tellerform), the way the lining is sewn in (the lining itself looks off, too) and, most of all, the sweatband: this seems to be pigskin. If it is, it is a copy. Then there is the matter of the sweatshield (already the fact that there is one is unusual): since you have the cap at hand you could check whether this is plastic (soft) or celluloid/cellophane (stiff) - you could also make the flammability test (only if you are almost sure the shield is plastic!) by cutting off a tiny piece: plastic melts/burns producing black smoke, an original would almost explode.
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 01-01-2024 at 10:01 PM.

?

As ErWeSa points out, there are several ‘non-regulation’ features about this cap.
    These things are a tricky mine field to cross and (as I was advised by member ‘Redcap’), anything non-regulation is best avoided - unless you have rock-solid provenance. Such caps remained in production for many years post-war and, naturally, the majority fall into this period. Furthermore, the merchant marine also wore caps in this style.
    There were also many privately-purchased examples made, wartime and post-war (just to add to the fun), but this one just doesn’t fit into the former category.
    The stitched folds to the cap tally are also not a period feature, as the issue caps were fitted with cord loops for the attachment of the tally.

The safest way to assess any example is to immediately assume it to be post-war, then let the details convince you. This one, for the many reasons noted above, fails to do so, I am afraid.

Might it be possible to get your money back from the dealer? I hope so.

well, the inside is plastic because it is very flexible, so it's probably a done deal and I don't want to set it on fire
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation  

I have information about it, so I'll have to ask. For now, I wanted to have a few arguments against it because I honestly didn't expect such a turn of events because there are too many of them, but I bought it as a 100% good product and later it was a surprise. Thank you very much for your suggestions and information, now every detail is important to me.

Thanks for the Information! This morning I stumbled upon this piece - Made in Denmark -
    ...A Minefield indeed!
    Attached Images Attached Images Tellermutze Kriegsmarine valuation 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast