Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Want to Buy - M34(?) Type EM Sidecap, Good?

Article about: Good morning gents, and Happy Thanksgiving holidays to those who celebrate. I've got my eye on an EM cap with pink soutache. Everything seems in order, but I did notice the difference betwee

Default Want to Buy - M34(?) Type EM Sidecap, Good?

Good morning gents, and Happy Thanksgiving holidays to those who celebrate. I've got my eye on an EM cap with pink soutache. Everything seems in order, but I did notice the difference between the vents... one appears painted as commonly seen, and the other not. I'll ask for better pics, but does this seem out of the ordinary? Does anyone else see anything else amiss with the cap? Insignia appears period applied to me, but I always like to ask the advice of our more experienced members.

As always, thanks a million for your generous help. Happy holidays, all!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Want to Buy - M34(?) Type EM Sidecap, Good?
    P
    Many

One more thing I neglected to address - does it seem unusual that the cockade appears machine stitched while the adler hand-stitched? On the few schiffchen I own, both eagle and cockade appear hand applied (except for one "M42" type cap where both are machine stitched).

Thanks again, folks!

I own one M34 & yours does look nice, the grommets I'm sure are field grey enameled, over time this can crack & break away, maybe that's the case here, mine also exhibits the hand sewn insignia too, not sure on the soutache though ?
    Cheers
    Paul

?

The soutache was my only concern, too. There appears to be no visible stitching to the inner face of the skirt and only a few large, pink stitches to the soutache face itself (perhaps merely due to the angle of photography), but may indicate a careful replacement.
    Certainly more, and clearer, images required.

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    I own one M34 & yours does look nice, the grommets I'm sure are field grey enameled, over time this can crack & break away, maybe that's the case here, mine also exhibits the hand sewn insignia too, not sure on the soutache though ?
    Cheers
    Paul
    Quote by Kohima View Post
    The soutache was my only concern, too. There appears to be no visible stitching to the inner face of the skirt and only a few large, pink stitches to the soutache face itself (perhaps merely due to the angle of photography), but may indicate a careful replacement.
    Certainly more, and clearer, images required.
    Excellent eye, gents. I missed that. I'll definitely ask for some details regarding the soutache - you're right about the possible lack of stitches.

I hate to say it, but my gut is telling me that the eagle and soutache may have been replaced post war.

Factory made pieces would have the waffenfarbe color machine sewn precariously down the middle. The application of the eagle seems odd to me as well. From what I have observed, the corner where the bottom of the wing meets the body/upper swastika doesn’t usually fray out on originals. I wish I could say how they were able to achieve this. Frayed but otherwise good condition insignia seem to me like a more recent application.

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    I hate to say it, but my gut is telling me that the eagle and soutache may have been replaced post war.
    This is correct - I've observed similar fraying from re-applied insignia. Good catch, and hopefully the seller will come through with some clearer pics, as I've requested. I'll update the thread once I receive them. Thanks for having a look!

Update - I asked the seller for a couple of pics detailing how the soutache was attached. I can see a row of what looks like feldgrau machine stitching on the back of the flap where the soutache would be, but I'm not seeing the same color on the front. Not feeling too confident about this one anymore.