Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What is THAT?

Article about: :

This is the original rare TR pattern cap that secretly formed the basis to the DDR models! This I believe was found back in '92! in a town called Grumbach in a kids Air-fix model aeroplane box out in an old shed there!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 09-06-2018 at 07:51 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is THAT?
    P
    Many

Hollywood is calling...……….

Quote by Ethan View Post
    Speaking of fakes... Hitler’s phone ‘used to issue orders in WW2’ is A FAKE, says German expert | World | News | Express.co.uk
    Its not new news, but I just stumbled upon the article online.
    This is the first time I've seen the alleged 'Hitler's phone' - £200k! How stupid are some people?
    That's a crazy amount of money to pay with no definite proof.

We hear of helmets etc.. on this forum that 'have providence' but what do we really know? A dealer says this was 'directly sourced from the Vet's family'. Even if a period photo is attached it is so easy to make this stuff up. A photo of a US soldier with a German helmet can be found on the web - edited slightly with photoshop so that it then becomes unique. A carefully worded story and there is history to the item that pushes the price up by £1k or something.

Always buy the item, never the story - it's been said before, but worth saying again.
    Nick

?

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    This is the first time I've seen the alleged 'Hitler's phone' - £200k! How stupid are some people?
    That's a crazy amount of money to pay with no definite proof.

We hear of helmets etc.. on this forum that 'have providence' but what do we really know? A dealer says this was 'directly sourced from the Vet's family'. Even if a period photo is attached it is so easy to make this stuff up. A photo of a US soldier with a German helmet can be found on the web - edited slightly with photoshop so that it then becomes unique. A carefully worded story and there is history to the item that pushes the price up by £1k or something.

Always buy the item, never the story - it's been said before, but worth saying again.
    Nick
    Totally agree with you, no matter what there will always be people out there who are willing to drop huge amounts of money on things just because the seller says something about it, a good example of this is the fact that 99.9% (or it seems like that) of Russian or German helmets from Russia on eBay claim to be from Stalingrad, so they raise the price exponentially.

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    We hear of helmets etc.. on this forum that 'have providence' but what do we really know?
    You mean provenance. Providence can be found in the bible or in Rhode Island, but not in the field of militaria collecting.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    You mean provenance. Providence can be found in the bible or in Rhode Island, but not in the field of militaria collecting.
    I did - whoops.

Speaking of 'provenance' - it's not only us relatively small scale collectors who buy in to it.
    Bruce Crompton was sold a toilet on the basis that it was 'Hitler's toilet'. It looked liked the sort of thing you used to have at school - probably even had Armitage Shanks stamped on it some place.

nick

...and now he is "The man who salvaged Hitler's toilet"...:

Access Denied

(When it comes to claims to fame, it doesn't quite sound as cool as, say, "The Man who shot Liberty Valance", does it?)

Speaking of provenance; hey, I got it:

Pictures within a picture, or: Provenance!

(Admittedly, a bit of off-topic self-promotion, but I still find this cool.)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Speaking of provenance; hey, I got it:

Pictures within a picture, or: Provenance!

(Admittedly, a bit of off-topic self-promotion, but I still find this cool.)
    That is really cool. And you know for sure the real story behind the items.
    My grandfather served in the Royal Navy during the war and was on HMS Faulknor, including at Narvik. I intend to start a thread about that at some point.
    Nick

?

We've had the phone(y) story already:

Hitler's phone comes to light

For Big Ned

as I always say: there is almost nothing that has not yet been treated in this forum - provenance or providence (thanks HPL2008 for the clarification - in German it is easier: Herkunft oder Vorsehung)?

Don't forget his fan and teapot...…...What is THAT?What is THAT?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast