Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying

Article about: Above are the 3 seperate visors and each are a little different from the others. They are all missing the cloth top parts as you can see. The first has the bullions insignia and oak leaves o

Default 3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying

3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying

Above are the 3 seperate visors and each are a little different from the others. They are all missing the cloth top parts as you can see. The first has the bullions insignia and oak leaves on it and has a kind of felt visor, the second and third have the shiny visors. They look to be in good shape exact for the third which is moldy from being stored in poor conditions i am guessing. I am wondering if someone knows about these Navy visors could tell me about them such as the years they are from, etc. I looked up the name and pulled this quote from his obituary online "As a Navy officer, Mr. Anderson served from 1942 to 1946 as deputy adviser on patent matters, Office of Scientific Research and Development, and from 1944 to 1946 as deputy chief of the Manhattan Engineer District, better known as the Manhattan Project, which developed the atomic bomb."
    Can these be repaired? Why are the tops missing and they otherwise seem in good condition other then the 3rd visor. Also the first visor Under his name it is written Commander, and on the second visor under his name is written Lieutenant (then added Commander after). Just thought that might help anyone in case you cant read the pictures.
    I don't know much about visors so any help would be a big help.
    Thank you,
    Nicole

Default Re: 3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying

The tops were quite likely stored separately to avoid moth damages. Is a shame that they have now, apparently, been lost.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default Re: 3 U.S. Navy Officer visor caps from yard sale, need help identifying

Can you possibly tell me what year the hat with the oak leaves is from? Also do you know what color the cloth was the used to be on it?

?

Following his advance in rank I would imagine the one with the oak leaves to be between 1945 and 1950. The ones without oakleaves would be WWII period.

I learned from info on the internet that he retired as a Commander in 1946, so I guess the cap is from '45 or '46. Is there a site someone that I can learn more about these kinds of US navy caps?

Hello Nicole, It's not really possible to say what color the covers were, as they could be either white or Navy blue. These caps had interchangeable covers for the various regulations and wearings. Just do a Google on "US Navy Caps WWII" and you'll find all sorts of various sites out there that have info on them. If you could find the covers for them, they would be quite collectable caps!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi, They are all nice vintage USN officer's caps. Crown covers could be
    1. White currently general winter use.
    2. Tan ditto summer
    3. Dark Green Naval Aviation
    4. Dark blue WWII general use.

The visor embelishment is worn by Commanders, Captains and Commodores.
    The unembelished visors are worn by Enlisted ranks through to Lieutenant Commanders.
    They are all early caps and all appear to have wicker frames although from the photos, I can not be 100% certain. The embroidered badge is a higher quality item preferred by some officers. The generic term used today to describe these caps is "Combi" as in an abbreviation for combination. They used to be referred to as visor or peaked caps. Should you wish to sell them, then I would be interested as I collect US visor caps.

Hope that this is of interest to you.
    Regards Michael R

?

Hi,

I was under the impression that embroidered badges denote early war or pre-war, which later changed to full Sterling. I can't remember where I got that from but perhaps you could look it that.

Oli

Hi, Looking at the cap frames, my best guess would be WWII through to circa Korea?? Embroidered cap devices are still in use today so your best areas to date the caps are the manufacturer's tags, the contruction and fabrics used. Alternatively, go back to the vendor and make enquiries of the original owner. The US Navy changed the position of the eagle's head in 1941 from left facing to right facing. This may explain what your impression of dating the device is down to. A left facing eagle in heraldic terms is classed as "sinister" ergo dishonour whereas right facing is classed as "dexter" ergo honourable. The change, made for whatever reason, brought the device into line in heraldic histoical terms.

I hope this is of interest to you and that you can get some sort of date or period for your caps.

Regards and best wishes Michael R

PS I am still interested in purchasing them should you wish to sell,

?

What Michael says it correct. The eagle's head changed direction around 1940/41, which should date the set to post 1941.

I have only seen embroidered badges on wartime caps. Can you show me a postwar example as those I find all have Sterling.
    There must be some regulations on this. Perhaps in Tonelli's book?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast