Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AFS Cap: In-Hands

Article about: As with the Zuckerman helmet, here are some new photos in better light of the AFS visor hat I recently purchased. Now that I have it in-hands, I'm confident that I have a nice original cap.

Default AFS Cap: In-Hands

As with the Zuckerman helmet, here are some new photos in better light of the AFS visor hat I recently purchased.
    Now that I have it in-hands, I'm confident that I have a nice original cap. The badge also seems to have been in-situ for a long time, although I'd rather not remove it to check. I've photographed the attachment piece inside - a cotter pin and loops - which is similar to other British metal insignia that I own. The pin is made of brass, and is oxidised in places. On all the reproduction cap badges of this type that I've seen, the pin is made of white metal.

There is one issue, though. The cap has deformed to an oval shape, presumably from years of bad storage. It will fit neither my own head nor the mannequin head I had prepared for it. If there's a way of reforming it without causing damage, I'd be happy to hear it.

Otherwise, a nice cap. And my first. Happy to hear the opinions of those who know these inside and out, especially where the badge is concerned.

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AFS Cap: In-Hands   AFS Cap: In-Hands  

AFS Cap: In-Hands   AFS Cap: In-Hands  

Looks fine to me and I don't know that anyone is faking these......yet.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A nice original cap. Other than the slight deformation, the cap looks great. Can't be too careful for those notorious AFS cap fakers!!! Glad you ended up getting it, nice cap!

Thank you both for the kind words. Is there any way to reverse the deformation, or would trying simply damage the cap?

B.B.

Gently pressed in the sides of the cap and fit it over a mannequin head. Hopefully it reforms over time.

It appears I have a headgear collection starting to take form!

B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AFS Cap: In-Hands  

NCA
    ?

Lovely cap. Well done, it looks much better in your pics..110% real that's for sure. Nice quality too, I would imagine it was private purchase rather than issued. Now you need a nice Fireman's tunic to go with it!

Re: the distortion, that will probably settle down over time if you keep it on the display head.

Quote by NCA View Post
    Lovely cap. Well done, it looks much better in your pics..110% real that's for sure. Nice quality too, I would imagine it was private purchase rather than issued. Now you need a nice Fireman's tunic to go with it!

Re: the distortion, that will probably settle down over time if you keep it on the display head.
    Thank you for the kind words. It's certainly in great shape, although there are a few tiny patches where moths have had a nibble. Will have to hold off on tunics until I get a bigger room! As is, I'd have to hang any uniforms in my wardrobe. Keeps those hungry moths away, but no fun if you can't look at them.

I will admit I may have opened a Pandora's Box as far as Home Front headgear is concerned, though!

B.B.

NCA
    ?

Ah, shame about the moth nips..one of those things i'm afraid. Whenever I get a new items made of wool it goes into the freezer for a few days, thankfully my wife doesn't find this at all unusual!

Years ago I picked up an NFS helmet at a carboot sale and that led to tracking down a tunic...then an axe and belt and then a hose spanner...I did stop myself when I was stood in front of a Coventry fire pump at an auction though, thinking 'hmm I could restore that'...

Sounds like you're hooked now anyway, there is no cure apart from more stuff!

Quote by NCA View Post
    Ah, shame about the moth nips..one of those things i'm afraid. Whenever I get a new items made of wool it goes into the freezer for a few days, thankfully my wife doesn't find this at all unusual!

Years ago I picked up an NFS helmet at a carboot sale and that led to tracking down a tunic...then an axe and belt and then a hose spanner...I did stop myself when I was stood in front of a Coventry fire pump at an auction though, thinking 'hmm I could restore that'...

Sounds like you're hooked now anyway, there is no cure apart from more stuff!
    You're quite right! Once the bug bites it never stops. I drive the rest of my family mental. Every time the doorbell rings and another package arrives, I get glared at.
    Not that I care, of course. I'm quite happy to keep buying things until I have to climb over it all to get through the doorway!

The moth nips in question aren't as bad as I made them sound. Just two small ones across the top of the cap. Looking at them now, they might actually be cigarette burns.

B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AFS Cap: In-Hands  

..it won't be long before you're looking at those mannequin heads and thinking "I could get a lot more helmets in that space"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast