Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Another odd overseas cap

Article about: Hi all, My brother picked this up for me about a week ago and it’s confused me ever since. It is an artillery piped overseas cap made with WWII materials, but in the shape of a wwi cap. Th

Default Another odd overseas cap

Hi all,

My brother picked this up for me about a week ago and it’s confused me ever since. It is an artillery piped overseas cap made with WWII materials, but in the shape of a wwi cap. This is the first one i have seen.

Thoughts?

Another odd overseas capAnother odd overseas capAnother odd overseas cap

I googled the French motto on the crest and it shows up as the US 185th Regiment badge?

185th Regiment Unit Crest (Redoutable Et Fougueux) | US Military

Thanks Sprog. Now if only someone can share some insight on the cap itself.

I'd say it's just a mfg variation, but female services are shaped like this too.

Here's an oddball (to my eyes) USAAF one I have, been there done that!
    Crap I need to trim my thumb nail!!!

Rene

Id venture a guess that your aircorp cap may be theater-made (don’t know which theater though). The more squared shape is generally called “PX style”.

The cloth tag says "Phila QM Depot," which means Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot.
    Founded as the Schuylkill Arsenal in around 1800, it was known to have outfitted the Lewis & Clark Expedition. It was renamed as Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot in 1926 and subsequently as Defense Personnel Support Center in 1965. You can be confident to say that this cap was made sometime between 1926-1965.

Not entirely sure about the hat itself as I'm not an expert on US military hats.

The DUI (Distinctive Unit Insignia) is what is throwing it off for everyone. The DUI does not belong on this overseas or garrison cap.

What type of backing is the DUI? Pinback, screwback, clutchback?

Now let me explain my reasoning. This is a WW1 era Officer's overseas cap. In WW1 the Service Cap of the time was replaced by the garrison or overseas cap. This overseas cap could be folded and placed in a pocket or pack and retained it's shape. The service cap took too much storage room and would often be crushed.

The French introduced the overseas cap to the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF).

Officer's wore rank insignia on the left side of the curtain (as the turned up lower portion of the cap is called). Rank should be where the DUI is currently.

Officer's branch was indicated by colored piping around the curtain edge. The Color appears to be scarlet which in WW1 could have represented either Field Artillery or Coast Artillery Corps.

Source: Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms by William K. Emerson, Chapter 74, pgs. 540-541.

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Smitty,

Your explanation sounds good. Can you answer one more question though?

Was this particular type of wool used during/around WWI? it is the same type and approximate color to WWII type overseas caps.