Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD cap

Article about: This is a first / early pattern SD cap in use before the "austerity pattern" was introduced. However, being 1944 dated (tailors label and WD letter stamp 'M') it was likely produce

Default Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD cap

This is a first / early pattern SD cap in use before the "austerity pattern" was introduced. However, being 1944 dated (tailors label and WD letter stamp 'M') it was likely produced by a tailor who continued to offer the "premium" quality to discerning female soldiers at appropriate cost.

The 1st pattern was made typically in fine Barathea Wool fabric as was the male equivalent cap and uniform. It has a chinstrap of the same material which in the austerity model was replaced by the cheaper (to manufacture) leather item. It also has the more old fashioned stitched peak which was later replaced on the austerity model by the type with the typical peak stiffener rather than the labour intensive method of stitched reinforcement.

The essential difference between Officers and OR's items was in the quality of construction and material so it was not unusual for a junior member who possessed the means to equip herself with items of uniform that might routinely be considered "officer quality". To give context to that some of these caps were made in material that resembled wool serge cloth albeit thinner than that used to make trousers and jackets.

This example has a relatively high quality lining and has a drawstring adjustment in the sweatband.

The chinstrap buttons are standard brass GS type not bronze as they appear. This is due to being constantly covered by the fabric of the curtain and therefore seemingly never polished.

The cap badge is a standard brass OR's item with a slider not a bronze officers type which has "tabs" that would be bent on fitting. This is the only type of badge ever to be fitted and there are no holes that would indicate an officers badge being used.

So, my assumption is that this is a premium quality cap that was owned by an OR (most likely but not certainly a SNCO) who had the means and desire to Look her best and "cut a dash" in her Service Dress when walking out perhaps?

I would be interested to hear any thoughts on this.

Regards

Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD capAuxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD capAuxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD capAuxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD capAuxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD capAuxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD capAuxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) women's SD cap

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Great description Mark, as I have come to expect from you. Have you ever considered being a contributor to any militaria publications?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Great description Mark, as I have come to expect from you. Have you ever considered being a contributor to any militaria publications?
    Thanks, that would be something I would enjoy greatly but my current duties have me fully committed to "kicking ass and taking names" as the time honoured saying goes!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-05-2023 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."