Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Balmoral bonnet.

Article about: Bought this bonnet this morning and i was wondering what the tartan flash was?Also what badge would have been on it?It is dated inside 1954.Sanders&Brightman Luton. Thanks.

?

Balmoral bonnet.

Balmoral bonnet.

Balmoral bonnet.

Here is a 1954 Other Ranks TOS exactly like yours with the HLI Cap badge. Unfortunately, the colours of the tartan do not stand out very brightly in the picture, but you can easily see the sett matches.

I have also included a similar one for the KOSB. Mark has a better version of the same TOS badged to the KOSB, which he will hopefully post to the forum soon.

Yes Reid is correct and I am afraid I overlooked this. Here is a comparison with a 1955 item with the correct Queens Crown cap badge;

Regards

MarkBalmoral bonnet.Balmoral bonnet.Balmoral bonnet.Balmoral bonnet.Balmoral bonnet.

PS As an aside there is a variation in the motto of the KOSB badges which appears most commonly in the OR's version but is just a manufacturing error not the sign of a fake as some would assert.

The anomaly is in the spelling of the first part of the motto at the top of the badge. In many cases the motto begins "Inveritate" which is incorrect as it should read In Veritate (two words) with the full phrase being "In veritate religionis confido" literally interpreted as " I trust in the truth of my faith".

There doesn't seem to be a particular "culprit" for this error as it appears throughout the timeline. The most likely explanation is the die cutter's poor grasp of Latin!! Even members of the regiment would mostly be unaware of it.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-25-2024 at 11:59 AM. Reason: addition
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2