Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beret .... RAC Fake or Not ?????

Article about: Hi Guys, Can anybody help tell me if this is a fake or not ?? ......... I need a genuine RAC / black beret to complete my display (have genuine tank headset with mic. 44', cap badges and goo

?

Default Beret .... RAC Fake or Not ?????

Hi Guys,

Can anybody help tell me if this is a fake or not ?? ......... I need a genuine RAC / black beret to complete my display (have genuine tank headset with mic. 44', cap badges and googles 44') the reproduction one just doesn't cut it !

WW2 British 1944 Dated KANGOL Wear Beret Royal Armoured Corps Cap Badge | eBay

Or if anyone has a genuine black beret for sale I would be interested.

Thanks

Joel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Beret .... RAC  Fake or Not ?????   Beret .... RAC  Fake or Not ?????  

Beret .... RAC  Fake or Not ?????   Beret .... RAC  Fake or Not ?????  

Hi Joel, welcome to the forum!

I have added the pics to your post, as links die over time.

It is a fine original.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

As Ade stated the beret is fine, though unusual to see the badge on a slider.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks guys !!!
    I thought the RAC badge on a slider was a bit different too. My grandfathers one he gave me is a kings crown and has the 2 lugs and pin set up.

Having the slider pocket is perfect though as his Buffs badge will fit perfectly.

As the 141st RAC (buffs 7th bn) wore their original cap badges (so I am informed) when converting from infantry to armour.

Thanks

Joel.

Does it have a sewn slider pocket or just a hole where the slider has been pushed through? If it has a sewn slider pocket it is wrong as that was not added until the post war period. I can't see a sewn slider pocket in the photos.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Hmmm maybe just a hole. Can't really see in the pics. I'll ask.

So are cap badges with sliders post war then ? My grandfather gave me his Buffs badge that has a slider.

Or is it that badges for berets were lugged only ?
    As he would have taken his Buffs badge off his side cap and put it on the beret when converting to RAC.

??
    J

Sliders were used during the war and were intended for caps other than beret which should have badges on lugs. They were used on berets but the purpose sewn slider pocket was only added to british berets post war.

See my mid 50's example which otherwise is the same as wartime examples, apart from the date and the value and the slider pocket. Note it is WD marked O which is the same as used for 1942, so care does need to be taken.

I can't see a slider pocket on it so I still think it is a good period example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Beret .... RAC  Fake or Not ?????  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

thanks jerry.

?

Ah bugger !!

missed out on that one.

Here is another - any idea on dating this one guys ??

Wwii Royal Armoured Corps British Black Beret | eBay

Any leads on any other black berets 1944' prefered but any WW2 british

Please add pics as requested. Links die!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast