Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

British WWII Royal Navy Visor cap

Article about: Just a quick question: was the white waterproof material on British RN visors used during WWII, or only after - specifically on visors made by Gieves? Thank you for any help

?

Default British WWII Royal Navy Visor cap

Just a quick question: was the white waterproof material on British RN visors used during WWII, or only after - specifically on visors made by Gieves?

Thank you for any help

Default re: British WWII Royal Navy Visor cap

Quote by 22Coy View Post
    Just a quick question: was the white waterproof material on British RN visors used during WWII, or only after - specifically on visors made by Gieves?

Thank you for any help
    The simple answer is yes, it was used before, during and after WW2. However, it was always a separate white cover, so would have been supplied with the cap by Gieves (and any other tailor), but not made as an integral part of the cap. The caps themselves were navy blue. I have seen ww2 ratings caps (which also had a white cover) made in white, so it is possible that some tailors could have made white caps in WW2 (and therefore the officer would have two caps, rarther than a cap and cover) but I have never seen one.

Today, of course, they are all made white, and have been since, I believe, the mid-1950s

Rob

?

Battery Command Post
    Thank you!
    I thought I would post a few picks for a better verdict. The white material is not a cover - the visor is made using this white rubbery waterproof material. Is this WWII?
    ThanksBritish WWII Royal Navy Visor capBritish WWII Royal Navy Visor cap

It's definitely post-WWII. The reason being that the Gieves logo in the hat gives the address as 27 Old Bond Street, London, which was their address from 1946-1974. The address for WW2 was 21 Old Bond Street until it got blown up by a direct hit by the Luftwaffe, and then 80 Piccadilly.

Rob