Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can I get your thought's on this B-2 flight cap?

Article about: So ran across this and made a lowball offer (\\$125)on a BIN at \\$149.99 and he took it, So one way or another I got one of these coming. Can I get your thought's. Seller gave me this story abo

?

Default Can I get your thought's on this B-2 flight cap?

So ran across this and made a lowball offer ($125)on a BIN at $149.99 that had just popped up and he took it,(No Return)
    So one way or another I got one of these coming.

Can I get your thought's.
    Seller gave me this story about where it came from. Seller is from Canada.
    I know! I'm not buying the story.. Its a decent one......

"I purchased the cap from a Vets family. The Vet was a spitfire pilot in the RAF and flew with the Royal Norwegian Air Force Sq 331.
    Lots of the documents are in Norwegian so difficult to read. Not sure if this was his cap as the initials dont match or he picked it up somewhere during or after the war."

The only other one I found with this type of "Covered/seamed" over the liner inner stiches has a tag that just say's SMALL and being sold as WW2 AAF.
    I'm not sure about the Tag/No Tag thing.
    So No Tag or AFF Stamps on this one, It has some wear on the outer flap side, But they will be up with the shearing showing and it won't be seen. It has a slight fold on the bill.

Let Me Know???

Semper Fi
    Phil

I think it looks good, it definitely has age to it and you can see the crackling leather that a lot of leather USAAF items get due to how they were treated. Also, a lot of the reproductions I see don't use shearling and usually the leather doesn't match how the originals look which this one does. I don't think the no tag is an issue, as I've seen other B2s on the web that don't have them maybe that's due to the manufacturer not wanting to spend the time to sew one on in order to speed up production.

Here's a link to one without a tag that sold on eBay a month ago: Vintage WW2 US ARMY AIR FORCE B-2 Shearling Winter Bomber Leather Flight Cap | eBay

?

Nice Phil,
    Don't Worry be Happy as the song says
    Cheers Rick

Only handled one in my time, in South Africa of all places! looks ok to me and in great shape! typical leather like found on the B3 jackets

?

Thanks Gent's,
    I'm glad to hear your thoughts about it..
    That makes me feel better about the Rush to purchase.
    I've been checking "B-2 Flight cap" EVERYDAY and multiple times a day on Ebay. And I saw this BIN one pop up. And figured I would make an offer that, either way I would not regret this purchase.

I did check all my references, Sweeting's: Combat Clothing and Combat flying Equipment.. Gear Up, SWPG's and several websites and I cannot find very much information about these. The basics and I did find a list of makers on another site,
    But the question about Tag or No Tag wasn't answered there either.

I would love to know more information about these.
    I think I'm going to like them.

Here is another pic of Phil I might need to start to work on!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

That's a nice looking example Phil! Looks good to my untrained eyes.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hey Phil the parachute is the big ticket! If you get one cheap, I'll swim to the west coast with my fast electric bike on my back to Aridzona and pinch it from ya!!

Looks like a good cap Phil, from my limited knowledge. You are making great progress in this collection project.

Nice buy, Phil! I love the two photos of Phil you want to work on for your collection. That will be a neat one with the parachute on! Rene's right though, that will be a big-ticket item.

?

Thanks again Guy's,
    I have several pic's of Phil in his gear.
    Great pic's of his training here in the US.

Looks like Parachute, B-3 Jacket then the A-6 boots,
    They are the Big Buck items!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast