Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Coloured FS caps period guide

Article about: Though this is a book, I thought it would go well here, published in 1941 and is the book that BL Davis used to base his table of coloured caps on. It needs to post more than 10 pics so it w

A few more chips!! Cheers MR

Coloured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guide

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    A few more chips!! Cheers MR

Coloured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guide
    Hi Michel, what is the middle burgundy/red and white piped example with the grenade badge?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, Sorry for my delayed reply, an oversight on my behalf!!! It happens when you get past your sell by date!! The cap is cherry red with primrose yellow crown piping and was worn by the Lancashire Fusileers, officers. Hope this is of interest.
    Appologies once again
    Best wishes and a Happy New Year regards MR

The caps at #22 are:

1. Army Dental Corps Officer KC.
    2. Ditto, with badge variation.
    3. Lancashire Fusileers Officer.
    4. Royal Engineers Officer.
    5. Royal Artillery Officer.

Sorry for delay in ID'ing these caps.
    Cheers MR

Hi All, A few more chips to view.
    Cheers Michael R

The chips are:

1. Lincolnshire Regiment Officer.
    2. 16/5th Lancers Officer.
    3. Queen's Regiment Officer.
    4. Royal Army Ordnance Corps RAOC Officer QC.
    5. Royal Flying Corps Officer KC.

hi Jerry and Hi Luc, Re your conversation about the grey piped chip. May I respectfully suggest that it may be Army Catering Corps. Their facings and cap welts are grey and, I would imagine that, their FSC piping is probably also grey????
    Cheers MR

You could be correct Michel, though certainly with my example it has all the traits that I would associate with a FS cap from before WWI, though as you I am sure know very well, there is much that is not known about some of these and variations can be somewhat confusing and little understood.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, Thank you for your reply. From my limited research and knowledge, I believe that the only organisation to wear the current style FS cap prior to WWI was the RFC (probably because it could be tucked into a pocket or belt when wearing the flying helmet??) and not the Army as an entity. Similar caps were also worn, like the torin and Austrian caps etc., prior to WWI but these caps were not identical to the WWII and current style caps. Circa 1937 is when the FS cap was introduced as a "General Pattern" item, Army wide, and subsequently, the coloured FS cap was introduced. Apparently, the FS cap was a derivative of the glengary which was previously (and currently) worn by Scottish regiments. Please feel free to contradict me if you have better information than me.
    Cheers again MR

Hi Michel,

here is a late Victorian photograph of members of the Welsh or Mon wearing the pre WWI FS cap. They were introduced circa 1890-5 and worn until the introduction of the Brodrick cap, though some units such as Yeomanry continued to wear them into the WWI period. Also let us not forget the Kitchener Blue uniform which also included a blue FS cap and that worn by the 17th Lancers during the Boer war.

Sorry if they are out of order.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coloured FS caps period guide   Coloured FS caps period guide  

Coloured FS caps period guide   Coloured FS caps period guide  

Coloured FS caps period guide   Coloured FS caps period guide  

Coloured FS caps period guide  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast