Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dating Glengarry Caps

Article about: Hello everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips/advice or sources regarding how to date a glengarry cap if there's no date inside? Also, if any of you have any examples to share i would

Default Dating Glengarry Caps

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips/advice or sources regarding how to date a glengarry cap if there's no date inside?
    Also, if any of you have any examples to share i would love to see them!

Thanks

Default Re: Dating Glengarry Caps

pre mid WWI they had a leather band, from then onward they have a ribbed silk band, other than that they are very difficult to date. I have two and they both dated as best as I can say from circa WWI to 1960's, though both are probably WWII or 1950's. If they have their original badge on them, it should be possible to date them from the badge, though that assumes they have not had their badge replaced.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dating Glengarry Caps   Dating Glengarry Caps  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

An earlier example that I had noticed for sale a while back but sadly I was too slow to buy it as it was already sold when I contacted the seller. This is the earlier type with the leather trim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dating Glengarry Caps  
    Regards,

Jerry

Cheers Jerry, These are the two i picked up and i find trying to date them is so hard! The one that feels the oldest (if that makes sense) is the one with the more modern bandsman badge on.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dating Glengarry Caps   Dating Glengarry Caps  

Dating Glengarry Caps   Dating Glengarry Caps  

As I posted Vicky, these are very hard to date, try checking the material used in the checkered band to see if it is synthetic or wool. Also, check the inside carefully in good light for any markings and you might needed to dampen the liner as that will bring the markings out sometimes if they have faded.

Sadly, these are still made and sold for civilian bands and if they have been well used they might appear older than they are.
    Regards,

Jerry

Cheers Jerry, the bands appear to be made of wool, inside one is stamped with a 2.