Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Early pattern Garison Cap !

Article about: Hey guys, Just picked up this pretty rare (at least here in Europe) and interesting early pattern garrison cap referred as « Type 1 » by some autors. The label indicate the contract spec

Default Early pattern Garison Cap !

Hey guys,
    Just picked up this pretty rare (at least here in Europe) and interesting early pattern garrison cap referred as « Type 1 » by some autors.
    The label indicate the contract spec « October 11, 1940 » and the cap is dated « November 7, 1940 »

Interestingly, an US AIR Force trim is sewn, which is quite unusual as Charles Lemons had explain it « These early pattern caps rarely, if ever have a branch color trim sewn to the edge of the side flaps as they were manufactured without it ».

So in that case my guess it that it’s probably a modification by a Private tailor to make this cap looks like a later « Type 2 » pattern, what do you think ?

Best regards

?

This is technically an Overseas Cap (the Garrison Cap being the peaked service dress type).
    The piping was often added by the units, upon delivery. Interestingly, the piping type used here, with horizontal stripes, is (oddly) referred to as ‘gimp’, as opposed to the more common diced or checked type. I have numerous branches and models myself - they can be addictive!
    A nice, early example.
    Well done!
    Rob

Thank you Kohima for these informations, I really appreciate

- - ------- - -

Do you have documentations or informations about « gimp » rims ?

?

I have always know these as Garrison cover or our slang "PissCutter"

My Avator is my Uncle and you can see he is wearing this type of garrison/overseas cap and I have wanted to add one to match the photo I have of him. The ones I did pick up are the later type. Not a match.

That is a unique pipping for AAF, Like Rob had mentioned it is usually a "diced or checked type", A not to often seen version. I have only personally seen 3. Yours being the third.

Congrats on adding it!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Edited to add that I saw another today on another forum.
    Last edited by AZPhil; 07-28-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Thank you very much for that information