Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

French kepi

Article about: hello and happy new year first of all... i found this kepi today and have been trying to identify what its branch of service is and have been finding it hard to do. so i would like to ask if

Hello gentlemen,

The Mod.1935 is the modele in form in use in the today french army, with the same hight on the front & the back. Little détails change, essentialy the material what they are do. On the first mod 1935 to 1950, the visor was leather covered then he was in plastic. On the photo the visor looks in plastic. The visor of a Mod. 1930 or 1933 is not so long.
    For the button with a horn, only the Chasseurs have the horn with the flaming bomb & the warrant officiers (Adjudant, Adjudant chef) & subaltern officier (Aspirant, sous Lieutenant, Lieutenant & Capitaine) of the army have the simple hungarian knot since 1919, for supérior officers (Commandant (Major) Lt. Colonel & Colonel), it is double.
    Sorry my English is not so good as I want to explain.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Hello gentlemen,

My own Cavalerie Lieutenant képi in the French Army 1973/1977.
    (Commander of 3 AMX 30 Tanks).

Carfin.
    French kepiFrench kepiFrench kepiFrench kepiFrench kepi

Hello gentlemen,

The substitution of the régiment number to the flaming bomb date from 1941/1942 with the new mix of all French régiments in the "Armée D'Armistice.
    A good example is that you no more see numbers on French képi on photos from 1944/45, Indochina war or Algerian war. The flaming bomb is visible on all these photos.
    I will try to find the "Décret d'Application".
    Carfin.

can
    ?

French kepiFrench kepiFrench kepi

I only have three Kepi's in my collection. Two are post 1990 Legion and this one that is a post war Sous Officer Infantry. I've had it many years and never really knew if there was a way to tell if it was possibly Zouves or Para's . I was using Windrow's books but the one's I found deal mostly with the LE. Joe

can
    ?

French kepiFrench kepiFrench kepiFrench kepiFrench kepiFrench kepi

Actually that's wrong,I have four. I don't have a proper way to display this one so I forget I have it. This might be the best one I have too. Obviously LE. Joe
    Last edited by can; 01-15-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Hello gentlemen,

Good begin for a vast French képi collection, félicitations.

Your first photo, the infantry képi, could be for a Sous-officier supérieur (Adjudant, Adjudant chef) or for an Officier subalterne (Aspirant or Sous-Lieutenant). These 4 grades have only ONE galon on the top of the képi. To give you the exact grade, please post a good photo of the galon.
    Carfin.

i would like to thank you gentlemen very much for the input on this...
    I have learnt a lot about these hats so far.
    The height seems to be 105cm all around but dose dip in around the top of hat about 5mm all around..
    the peak seems to me not to be leather.
    I thought i would add some of my other French items to the images as i have always liked the French Adrian helmet. and i have a small collection of them.. and i have a lot of respect for the French and there armed forces.. so to find a kepi is a real bonus for me and i do like them.. but as said it looks like they are hard to research .
    thanks again like the images added to this thread as well. cheers mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French kepi   French kepi  

French kepi   French kepi  

Hello gentlemen,

The white képi is only for the Foreign Legion (Légion Etrangère). He is white with the seven branch flaming bomb & it is common to all Foreign Légion Soldiers. The NCO & Officers have the normal Infantry black képi. With only the képi, you cannot distinguish if it is a paratrooper or an artilerist or another arm.
    Carfin.

Hello gentlemen,

Nice collection "Geelong".
    The left helmet is as far as I can see an Mod 1926 for Officer (Tressed laether chinstrap) of Nord African troups (Zouaves, Spahis, Chasseurs d'Afrique, Tirailleurs etc.).
    The right helmet is a Mod. 1915 with the good Mod. 1915 Infantry insigna.
    For more détails, nearer photos from liner, insignia etc.
    Carfin.

The left baïonnette looks as a 1874 for a Gras riffle.
    The right baïonnette a 1866 for Chassepot or Gras riffle.

?

Merci for all the extra information, Carfin!
    The hunting horn buttons were used by some other organisations though, as you rightly point out, not in combination with the grenade (my error). Incidentally, what insignia do the Forestiere wear to the front of their Képi?
    My own French collection area is Great War period, so it is always good to learn more about this complex subject.

All the best,
    Bob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast