Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

French kepi

Article about: hello and happy new year first of all... i found this kepi today and have been trying to identify what its branch of service is and have been finding it hard to do. so i would like to ask if

Default French kepi

hello and happy new year first of all... i found this kepi today and have been trying to identify what its branch of service is and have been finding it hard to do. so i would like to ask if any would be able to shed some light on this thanks mark. i am pretty confident it is post ww2..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French kepi   French kepi  

French kepi   French kepi  

extra image
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French kepi  

can
    ?

I think it's a Second Lieutenant or Adjutant Chef 1935 model. It looks black. Sometimes the dark blue looks black in photos. The infantry horn leads me to believe it's Infantry Chausseurs. I'm not at all an expert but I think this is right . It could also be Air Corps but they should not have the horns. Joe
    Last edited by can; 12-31-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quote by can View Post
    I think it's a Second Lieutenant or Adjutant Chef 1935 model. It looks black. Sometimes the dark blue looks black in photos. The infantry horn leads me to believe it's Infantry Chausseurs. I'm not at all an expert but I think this is right . It could also be Air Corps but they should not have the horns. Joe
    thanks Joe. i pretty 100% its black. but did read the real dark blue ones can look black. but thanks again for information.

Hi gentlemen,

It is a French képi for a second lieutenant of the "Chasseur à pied" or "Chasseur Alpin".
    The kepi is black, and the 2 bottons on the side are decored with a horn (Insignia of the "Chasseurs").
    "Chasseurs à Pied"= Infantry.
    "Chasseurs Alpins" = Mountain Infantry.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

thank you carfin.. for the information. i do not see many kepis or any down this end of the planet.. i chanced in getting it but i am happy i grabbed it now.. but still not shore of age joe said 1935 model, but dose this mean the one i have was made then or this design was used for a number of years?

can
    ?

I should have said post 1935. An Mle. 35 kepi is ridged as is the one you have. The ones previous to that were soft like you see in WWI and the inter war years. Since 1935 there have been changes also many in fact but always retaining the ridged form. Like I said I'm not an expert, sorry for the confusion. Joe

Hello gentlemen,

It is a MODELE 1935 (See photo), but post war, 1950/1960.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

French kepi

?

I am afraid it’s a little more complicated than that...
    The crown looks far too high to be of a pre-war pattern (M26, M30, M31 or M35) and, I suspect your initial appraisal was correct Geelong. The dimensions are of paramount importance in determining the precise pattern. For example, the M30 has a height of 85mm to the front and 95 at the back, while the M35 (the tallest of these inter-war models) has a height of 95mm to all sides.
    Judging by the photographs (and without knowing the exact height), I would say this is a post-war model, though I will have to check out post-war design changes to be more precise.
    With regard to the hunting horn device on the buttons, it must be remembered that this insignia is not exclusive to the Chasseur, being shared by a few other organisations, including the Forestieres.
    The (relatively) simplified ‘Hungarian knot’ to the top of the crown is, I believe, a post-war design.

As I am sure you know, Geelong, the képi has enjoyed great popularity in France for many decades and myriad variations exist to this day (the vast majority of which are, naturally, post-war), with an invariably complicated colour scheme and shared insignia - the precise organisation frequently only discernible by the buttons!
    It is a fascinating subject, but a nightmare to study and collect!

I hope to pin this one down for you... sometime!
    All the best,
    Bob

?

As an addition (just discovered this), the Regimental numeral to the front of the Képi, was replaced by the flaming grenade device sometime in the 1960s, so this could give us a ballpark...!

Bob

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast