Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

General staff service dress cap WW2?

Article about: Bought this some time ago. It was from eBay but was from a seller who I would probably trust (Hogspear - https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hogspear) Listed it as WW2 but would welcome any opinons.

RTH
    ?

Default General staff service dress cap WW2?

Bought this some time ago. It was from eBay but was from a seller who I would probably trust (Hogspear - https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hogspear) Listed it as WW2 but would welcome any opinons. Some damage to the inside lining.

Many thanks
    RTH

General staff service dress cap WW2?General staff service dress cap WW2?General staff service dress cap WW2?General staff service dress cap WW2?General staff service dress cap WW2?General staff service dress cap WW2?General staff service dress cap WW2?General staff service dress cap WW2?

The button there is a Elizabeth II Regina one (Queens Crown), so it's not a match.

RTH
    ?

Ok, yep should have spotted that - any other thoughts on the actual cap itself? Button could be a replacement

Quote by RTH View Post
    Ok, yep should have spotted that - any other thoughts on the actual cap itself? Button could be a replacement
    I'm not sharp on UK Army caps, only have a couple of WW2 Aust army ones & a couple of WW2 RAF in my lot. You should be able to tell if the buttons have been replaced? At a guess I'd say the insignia was replaced as it has fading in the red of the KC.

RTH
    ?

Yes I think that is what has happened. The buttons look original but the insignia looks like it was put on more recently? Did I pay a fair price for it?

?

Cap itself is good & the maker is often found in pre-war or wartime caps.
    As stated, ERII staff pattern side buttons, but a King's Crown badge, which looks added on later.
    You can encounter caps with mixed King's & Queen's crowns buttons & badges; I have a Royal Marines officer cap with Kings crown buttons & Queens crown badge. I think the badges were easier to replace than side buttons.
    Not sure what to do here, if anything.
    Hogspear is very reputable; I have bought probably 20 or more visor caps from them over the years, but they lately seem to have too much men's & ladies clothing listed and not much militaria.

BobS