Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge

Article about: This is a recent acquisition which is in extremely good condition. It is an officers pattern (therefore private purchase) TO bonnet to the Gordon Highlanders. The cap badge is sterling silve

?

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your post. My first thought is the anodized badge was added later, and the original officer's cap badge is in a collection somewhere else. It seems that more people want to collect the badges than the headgear. Easier to display and easier to store. Also, hats get thrown away, destroyed by moths, etc., while the metal badges can survive about anything. However, as we all know from being in this hobby, you often do not know what path a cap has traveled from the time it was manufactured to when we add it to our collection. I have a TOS with the GVIR label that only has holes for the Highland BDE badge, which was introduced in 1958.

This Cameronians TOS may have been handed down. It is still with my "contact" in the UK. Once I have it in my hand I will know more. I had planned to replace the current badge with an officer one, but then I saw the prices!

On another note, I was finally able to acquire a Scottish Horse atholl bonnet from WWII after years of searching. However, it does not have a badge. So, I will be adding the OR king's crown SH cap badge to my "wanted" list. I am afraid to look at what they are going for right now!

Regards,

Reid

Hi Reid,

One way or another the anodised badge was added "later" but it is I think a bit more pleasing to believe that it was a serving member who just happened to be using a more "mature" TOS ( which may well have been the case in the early part of the timeframe of my hypothesis ), than just a collector with no real appreciation of accuracy!!

I have sent you a PM about the cap badge you are seeking.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2