Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Hat, Service, Field PQMD-277-H-4321 1944

Article about: I just picked up this field hat (purportedly a 1944 contract) from a thrift store for \\$30. I realize the insignia on it (N.S. Meyers proofed) is mid-sixties to mid-seventies era. I was told

Default Hat, Service, Field PQMD-277-H-4321 1944

I just picked up this field hat (purportedly a 1944 contract) from a thrift store for $30. I realize the insignia on it (N.S. Meyers proofed) is mid-sixties to mid-seventies era. I was told that because the sweatband is paper with a fibre core (ie. oilcloth?) that there’s no way it could be military contract (as they’re virtually always leather). Although the hat is in excellent condition, there are a number of things about it that denote it being quite old— particularly the brittleness of the sweatband and the green stains left on the leather chinstrap by the brass hardware. I’ve seen quite a few of these for sale on IMA and a number of other -widely regarded as reputable- antique/militaria sites and they’re frequently marked with veteran names and an associated ASN. So what’s the deal? Are they the real deal or an elaborate fake?

Last edited by Pro Libertate; 03-18-2023 at 05:53 AM.

The Army campaign hat that you have is indeed post war and is still used today in the US Army.

The contract date of 1944 is simply that. It is when the contract was awarded to produce the hats. In 1944 some of the material would have been different but by that time of the war these campaign hats were not part of the Soldiers initial issue and they were used very seldom. This is a military contract campaign hat, even with the 1944 contract date.

When I was in basic training in the 80s and I was nearing completion of my infantry training, my Drill Sergeant sent myself and a few other privates on a detail to the base clothing issue warehouse. We were helping the civilian workers issue new uniforms and equipment to the basic trainees. When we were getting ready to leave we noticed a shelf full of the "Brown Rounds" aka Drill Sergeant Campaign hats, and we took a few so we could present them to our Drill Sergeants to thank them for training us. Sure enough the same contract date of 1944 was stamped on the sweatband.

US Army Drill Sergeants still wear this hat today (Male Soldiers) (Female Drill Sergeants have a different hat)

The current drill sergeant hat evolved from the 1883 campaign hat. That headgear was a modified (flat brim versus upturned brim) Montana Peak, which was adopted for wear by the army in 1911 and abandoned in 1942. In 1964, the hat was reintroduced to become a proud symbol of the drill sergeant.

Your Campaign hat has the enlisted hat device and infantry blue disc which indicates the Drill Sergeant has/is in an Infantry training unit.

I can't be sure but I also believe that the US Marine Corps Drill Instructors use the same hat but obviously they have the Eagle Globe and Anchor device on theirs.

Smitty

Thanks, Smitty. An individual on another forum told me they used to purchase these hats (sold as reproductions) from Rothco back in the 80’s and 90’s. It’s hard for me to believe that the oilcloth sweatband would become so brittle after 30/40 years, but I guess that settles that.