Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hms hood ribbon for review

Article about: Dear Gents Any lights about this HMS HOOD hat ribbon, is it a genuine from the HMS HOOD famous in WW2 and what should be a clever price to pay for it??? Thanks in advance Fernando

Sorry Mark Im afraid I gave an answer to you instead the other post before that was too short...

My problem is that not speak a lot of english and I must use frequently Google translator and a lot of text was dropped here about this HMS HOOD ribbon

Then all from you that posted tell me that tally is a POSTWAR fake and dont go fot it????

That's OK many members don't have much English but we all manage by being as clear as possible.

I think that to call this a fake is probably not correct.

It may be a perfectly good tally but of the type that, as Steve pointed out, was used before the start of WWII. During the war ships names were not shown on the cap tally for security reasons.

Therefore the ships company at the time Hood was lost would not be wearing such a tally.

Whilst it might be the case that such a tally was on a cap on display in a mess bar or such like in peacetime I think it very unlikely to have been tolerated in wartime for the same security reasons.
    The tale of a single tally recovered from the wreckage is in theory possible but that one is accounted for and I would take a lot more persuading to believe that account. If convincing provenance could be produced then that one tally would be very expensive.

In the end I think the one you show is probably a good PRE-WAR item and not a relic of the Battle of Denmark Straight.

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-05-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2