Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

HMS ILLUSTRIOUS Sailor Cap

Article about: Guys Been offered this, is this wartime issue or post war ? All input much appreciated !

Yes, also with the Royal Navy, during WW2 only "HMS" appeared on the cap tally. Quite hard to find a WW2 era cap like Ricks.

?

Here is the inside.
    The old bloke I got it off stupidly wrote inside it. Whilst correct it's a dumb thing to do
    Cheers Rick

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Yep on the "World Cruise" of the British Special Service Squadron, 1923/24. Or as my grandad use to say with a grin, the "world Booze".
    For the uninitiated the instant giveaway before you even look at the superstructure, armament etc is the Tampions (the plugs in the ends of the gun barrels which keep the bores clean when not in action) which on RN ships and fraternal in navies I think, bear the ships crest. I recognised this one instantly as it was the cap badge of the Hood Battalion of the Royal Naval Division in WWI

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HMS ILLUSTRIOUS Sailor Cap  
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Yes, also with the Royal Navy, during WW2 only "HMS" appeared on the cap tally.
    Of course, this was a matter of OPSEC (Operational security) likewise the painting out of ships names and the removal of directional road signs on land or the censoring of formation badges on uniforms in photographs.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2